Converting Freshwater to saltwater and seeding live rock

B

bigtankbigfish

well not all the rock you see in there is live. My main display has about 2 or 3 pieces that are live, my canisters are jam packed with live rock rubble. The rest was rock I bleached a while ago and put in the cichlid tank.
Thats why im just let it sit with the shrimp in there for a while, Id like all that rock to be live before I add anything.

crypt keeper

Its almost better to see a true cycle. That way you know the tank has done its thing and setteled down. I always want trites and ammonia for the first week or two. Then they come down. Its just normal.

B

bigtankbigfish

I guess they were pods because I scraped my glass earlier and they were all free floating in the water. I put my clowns back in and they started to tear them up.
ammonia still 1 in 75 gall

crypt keeper

They were pods. But that is why you always always always qt every new fish. Post more pictures fo the turtle. he is neat

B

bigtankbigfish

I got that turtle 4 months ago from a friend that catches them. He found me this little guy in gun powder state park. He eats reptomin by the pound. I had the tank set up as a nice terrarium with him the bottom and 4 green anoles in the top section in the branches. Problem was that green anoles cant swim for crap and when they fell in the water the turtle killed them. He ate 3 in 2 weeks and I had to let the last one go. Now its a species only tank with just him and a few large danios and tiger barbs. I like that tank because all I need is one little in-tank filter, no heater, no lights. Keeps my BGE bill down since ive got 2 saltwater going now.
Im going to rehobeth beach tomorrow night until tuesday but im gonna have my rommate check my levels to see when i peak. The tube i ordered for my skimmer should be in on tues too.

What a noob I am, freaking out over pods. Too bad I dont have a mandarin he would be in heaven

B

bigtankbigfish

sorry my boys camera is HD video but the pics look like garbage

B

bigtankbigfish

Back from my 2 day vacation.
Ammonia .5 in new tank
Reef tank is good got a few new zoa frags before I left. The pod population has tripled in my tank. The glass is covered with them. Is there anything I can do to rid them or will they die off? Or is this a good thing?

B

bigtankbigfish

cool, cool pods are my friend now... Getting the snoflake from my friend on friday, cycle should be done by then. The eel should be thrilled my friend has had him in a 50 gallon breeder overstocked all kinds of crap with nothing but a cheapo aquaclear HOB filter. He wonders why all his fish die, I told him this is not a hobby for cheapskates. He said the eel is like his lone survivor, and survived carpet surfing twice. That reminds me I have to fabricate something to cover the back part of my tank when the lid stops before friday. Ill cut out a piece of plastic.
Also, the dude I got my frags from gave me a free pulsing xenia stalk. I tried keeping this last year with no success at all, Any suggestions on placement or flow? The guy said maybe I should add iodine to my tank but Im not going to do that. I dont add anything, ever.

mantisman51

+1 The pods are great. If you have a healthy amount of pods, you can keep mandarins. That's all they eat. I don't know why, but even with thousands of them, my mandarins always die after 3-4 weeks.

B

bigtankbigfish

I had a mandarin last year and gave him away after a month when i noticed he a getting thin. I was thinking about "renting" one from my local frag guy for a few weeks but my female clarkii would probably murk him.

B

bigtankbigfish

Got the SFE, a coral beauty, and two blue devil damsels for 25 bucks.
All are eating, the eel is eating silversides, raw shrimp and a little clam. The coral beauty is eating omnivore frozen cubes and flake foods, also put in an algae clip but havent seen him eat it yet.
pictures later.
Im gonna let the tank sit for a few weeks to make sure all is well. Gonna turn on the skimmer next week too. What should be my next fish? I have to get a dogface puffer at some pointfor my girl but other than that the only fish I really want is a baby humahuma trigger. Any preference on who to add first?