Converting Freshwater to saltwater and seeding live rock

B

bigtankbigfish

took out the male clarkii and freshwater dipped him 1 minute.... added him to the ten gallon with the female clarkii.
Took out the coral beauty and took him to the LFS, hey they're the ones that sold him to me.... Lol.
So there are no longer any fish in the reef (30 gallon). Just a CBS and some coral.
Now I just gotta pray like hell the freshwater dip worked on the male clarkii before I put him with the female.... the clarkii had no visible ich like the coral beauty did.
I hope this works I have had ich real bad on a 220 fowlr last year, I caught it early this time its not that bad... yet.

B

bigtankbigfish

freshwater dip didnt work. 10 gallon QT has ich now too. damn.
also i just realized that the rock i took I from the reef tank to jump start the cycle in my new 75 is probably contaminated too. Looks like both my tanks are gonna empty for 6 weeks.... this sucks.
started hypo on the clowns and cranked heater to 82. The male is all beat up from the female plus he has a little visible ich. He'll never make it.
The female is still white dot free but i can see the ich on the glass. only a matter of time... Sometimes I absolutely hate this hobby.
i guess there is no point in putting shrimp in the new 75 since I have 6 weeks to let it cycle now. maybe its for the best. Also give me time to start putting together a new QT so I can hypo everything I buy in the future. I will never ever put another fish in my tank that doesnt survive hypo for at least 6 weeks. Took me 5 years to learn this... maybe im growing up

B

bigtankbigfish

suspicions confirmed. Ich in brand new not even cycled 75 gallon. Great. Good news is there is no fish in there. Should I lower salinity or just keep rolling with it since it will die anyway? Is hypo strickly to treat fish or does it kill the ich altogether? Basically will hypo have any affect on a tank with no fish? I cranked up the heater to 87 in the 75
not that anyone is listening to me anyway im talking to myself this whole thread.

crypt keeper

how do you know ich is in your brand new tank? Hypo kill inverts which ICH is. Inverst cant live with such a low salinity rating.

B

bigtankbigfish

well i can kinda see a few small white flea like dots on the glass., sporadically. Same that are on my reef tank which is fish free now, and my QT tank with my clowns.
Im gonna let the reef tank sit for at least 6 weeks before I add any more fish. I can handle that. Ill just do my lights and water changes normal.
The 10 gallon QT with the clowns I have starte to lower the salinity an have upped the temp to about 83 degrees.
My new 75 that is still cycling, I took a piece of live rock from my reef and put it in the new one to help cycle it. This was before the outbreak was visible to the

[hr]
eye but they must have hitch hiked on the rock. I havent ghost fed yet. That wont feed the ich right? They need live fish right? DO you think I should lower the salinity and up the temp on my 75 thats cycling or just continue as normal.

B

bigtankbigfish

another question, off topic sort of, if ich is an invert that cant survive the low salinity how do fresh water fish get ich? Is it just a different strand that thrives in different a condition?

B

bigtankbigfish

It looks like things are under control pretty good.
My new 75, maybe im seeing things. Maybe I seeing new algae growing on the glass and not white dots. The water is crystal clear and flowing very strong. Im gonna continue the cycle as normal.
THe reef tank still has a few little ichs running on the glass here and there but not too bad. No fish in there now.
The QT tank with my clowns, maybe i was seeing things there too. This morning I see no fleas on the glass, nothing on the clowns, no signs of scratching or anything. I think THe reef tank took the brunt of this outbreak.
Sooooo... at this point I should just continue with the 75 as normal, let the reef sit for 6 weeks, and keep an eye on the clowns in the 10 gallon for the next 6 weeks?

mantisman51

I converted my 125g cichlid tank to a reef tank. I use a Fluval 404 canister and a 350 gph skilter-with the skimmer off. I have 0 problems with water quality. The sump I had was a waste of money. I keep xenias, gsp, frogspawn, kenyas, mushrooms, zoas and anemones. If you have plenty of LR and a DSB, you won't have a water issue. I have run my tank this way for 3 years with NO water issues. The $250+ that I wasted on a sump would have bought alot of LR and coral.

mantisman51

The fleas are copepods. They will probably continue to grow in # until you put the fish in. They will make a quick snack of them. I have had my fish in QT for almost 7 weeks-****** from h@ll- and my tank walls are teaming with pods-that's a good thing. Ich is a freshwater parasite. SW "ich" is actually Cryptocaryon, the SW cousin. It acts and lives pretty much the same way, but in SW it reproduces and kills quicker. I have seen the first symptoms of ****** at 9:00 p.m.-then wake up to dead fish at 6:30 a.m. the next morning.

B

bigtankbigfish

i dont know about copepods, I have had my reef for 2 years, never seen anything like them, then add first new fish in 2 years and have them a week later. Im pretty sure its ich. And the ROck i took I from there and put in new tank to help cycle must have had them on there as hitchhikers. Honestly I dont even see any in my new tank today, just a few yesterday.
My fish look healthy in the QT. They have no visible ich at all and I really dont see it on th glass anymore either.
still a few stragglers in the reef tank right now. Im fine letting that sit and mellow out for a while. The ich cycle does take 6 weeks with no fish to complete right?
IVE SEEN THE FLEAS YOUR TALKING ABOUT IN MY SUBSTRATE, I KEEP MY GLASS SPOTLESS FOR THE MOST PART. THIS LOOKS LIKE MORE LIKE A WHITE GRAIN OF SALT THE MOVES ON THE GLASS, VERY TINY

mantisman51

Normally 4 weeks will be long enough. Some folks give an extra week to be sure. I am fairly positive you are not seeing ****** on your glass. It only latches onto fish.

B

bigtankbigfish

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3057087
Normally 4 weeks will be long enough. Some folks give an extra week to be sure. I am fairly positive you are not seeing ****** on your glass. It only latches onto fish.

what if the fish are removed, they have to go somewhere right? WHat else could this be in my tank then? Tiny little white things that move on the glass. Small as a pin head.
SO your saying Ich is only visible on fish? My fish look fine. Maybe its not ich. I hope.
Also, threw two shrimpies in the 75. Cycle is on its way

B

bigtankbigfish

got some pictures

my 30tall reef. Not a lot a live rock in there at the moment. I was getting cyano so I took some out and upped the GPH in the tank.

couple O zoos and my CBS ive had forever.

The black clarkii that is super agressive

THe 75 gallon FOWLR in cycle mode.

my common snapping turtle baby. He ate 3 green anoles in 2 weeks.

My 2 yr old Mayfield Pitbull Brutus.
Good news. I think you guys are right. I think I have copepods that came with the new live rock. I took mainly rubble pieces off the very bottom of the bin that have probably been in there for years.
They seem to have died off completely in the new tank but they flourishing in the reef tank on the glass. I bet its safe to my fish back in the reef tank and let them eat the pods. I was just paranoid because this started around the time I got the coral beauty and she had a white spot thing or her lip that was fairly large but i got the live rock shortly after which is when i starte seeing them.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by BigTankBigFish
http:///forum/post/3057232
what if the fish are removed, they have to go somewhere right? WHat else could this be in my tank then? Tiny little white things that move on the glass. Small as a pin head.
they are small pods. Very normal when getting good curred rock from a LFS.
Are running while taking thos epictures? hahaha.
Gorgeous dog. Im actually looking for a male to go with my female where did you get him at?

B

bigtankbigfish

running with the camera, lol. Its my roommates its an "insignia"
Well tomorrow I going to put my clowns back in the reef tank.
How long should I let the shrimp sit in my new tank before I test levels again. Ammonia was 0 before the shrimp added. I did 2 like you.
I got my dog from a former guy that worked for me. He was a pretty well known dogman in his time. He moved to MD when the whole michael Vick went down. If you know a thing or two about the history of pitbulls and their bloodlines my dog is pretty damn rare. Theres a book called "Bullyson" about a famous fighting pit, THe inside cover has a callage of pictures of famous dogmen. He is the only black fellow in the calloge in the bottom left. My dog is 100%tudor/mayfield DIBO. I live in baltimore and have been trying to find a decent bitch to breed him to but have found nothing close to what im looking for. Everyone wants to go spend thousands on these blue pitbulls, lol. Look at the history of great pits you wont find a ner' blue dog anywhere. Scatter breeds. Not too mention any pit over 60 pounds is probably not 100%.
I am so thrilled I dont have ich. Back to business. Here I was running around like a mad man thinking it was in all 3 tanks.

crypt keeper

You have a crap load of live rock and adding the filter media with the bacteria will help. Hell my tank cycles fast. The shrimp will just rot away. You can move them around to help them break apart faster. I did. As soon as your trites come down to 0 and they hold for 3 to 5 days I would add the CUC. Once daily is fine. Ammonia and trites are the fish killers. Im in Montgomery County. Go skins. My female is fixed. I just want a male. She is just under 60 pounds.
this is her with my worker

B

bigtankbigfish

wow, thats pretty impressive man. Shes georgous. How old is she? I like her pattern. Shes all white with a small brown patch, my guy is all brown with a small white patch. We might have to chat when she gets in heat.
and ill tell you like i tell all redskins fans... until you find a qb to replace that scrub jason cambell you will not win. iM WaCkO 4 FLacCo!!!
My planned Stocklist,
Snoflake eel 12 inch
Stars n stripes puffer
picasso trigger
I only got 4 months left on the lease here, after that im getting a house and buying another 220.

mantisman51

Heck, if you have established LR, I bet it won't take more than a week for the tank to settle down and test normal. I'd still wait a week or two aftr it tests normal to be safe, but I'll bet a dollar in a week you'll post ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are normal-that is assuning you have mature, established LR.