Converting Lion to frozen............

broncofish

I have a baby lion fish in my 29g. I plan on keeping him in there for about a month until his new homes canopy is complete(90g) and long term he will be going in a 200g. Question being, right now I feed him live brine. Should I switch and start mixing in some frozen dead brine, or should I take a little slice of krill and wiggle it on the end of a feeding stick? I'm leaning towards frozen brine, but am worried he won't accept biger chunks of frozen food as he grows. What do you guys think

What kind of lion is it? I fed mine frozen chunks of shrimp at first and then a week later began switching to formula one. I also put it in front of him and released and usually he got it, after he got used to my hand he started swimming to it and will eat from my fingers. Lions are really intelligent for fish but not very observant when it comes to whats going on around them. Hope this helps.

moopiespoo

With my volitan I wiggle food on the end of a skeewer and it only took about 5 days to train him. I vary his diet, one day he gets the krill another clams or shrimp. He loves crab meat. When he starts to understand that the food is on the end of that stick he will probably accept anything. HTH.

when I first got my lionfish the lfs was feeding him live fish, but I didn't want to, so I tried to get him to eat Formula One with no success, then small pieces of shrimp, didn't work. then I tried soaking the shrimp in garlic (minced) & he loves it. Has fed from my fingers ever since and is a pig.

Bronco, I have fed mine shrimp from the deli forever, I will get them treats from the LFS from time to time and he will eat damn near all the live shrimp he can find. If its a lion I think it will eat anything. Mine is the bigest hawg I have ever seen, and he doesn't know when to stop. He will get so full he will just stick on the side of a rock untill he rests up. His belly looks like there are marbles in it. I took some pics the other night and I will see if I can get them on here. I am wating on my new eel to come out for a pic of him before I post everything. I might need your help again if you can. Thanx, Joe

stacyt

Joe Hildreth,
It sounds as though you may be overfeeding your lion. If your feeding to the point where his stomach is buldging it will cause health problems later down the road. Overfeeding can cause excess food in the digestive system to start rotting before it can be digested, leading to intestinal problems.