converting my 55g to a 24g nano...quick ?s

dieselndix

so, going from my 55G reef to a 24g deluxe nano
can I take my sand from the fuge and use it as substrate? its 5" DBS in the fuge. only want like 1.5" in the nano.
can I take water from my tank, and the LR from my tank and jsut keep running...no new cycle?
need pointers on this move...otherwise I am just going to transfer the prize pieces from my 55g and keep on going with the nano like its been established already.
also....what considerations are needing when going with a nano24g dx
thanks all...this forum has really helped my reefing

roushracer

Yes, you can transfer everything right over to the nano. I did the same thing recently. I went from a 55g to a 29g and used the same sand, live rock and water. Only difference is I kept the same canister filter when I transfered, but you should still be ok.

bonebrake

You should be fine. Whatever sand you use only use the sand from the top layer of your 55 gal. Replace the pump in the 24 gal. nano cube with a Maxijet 900; the stock pumps are garbage and run very hot.

dieselndix

cool...quick ? though...
currently my fuge has a dsb of 5"....did you mean to only use the top layer of that? and if so..what is considered the top layer
the display tank has CC and i dont want that crap anywhere near this tank
thanks again

bonebrake

By top layer, I meant use as much sand as you want, but take it off the top evenly to put in your new tank. Don't take sand from the bottom two inches if at all possible.
Yes, that is the correct pump.
:joy: