converting

ok, all, my LFS is giving me a great deal on 50 lbs of fully cured LR, I am wanting to convert my CC to DSB.............as soon as I find some white sand I will be doing that, now the question that I have is if I do all that at once will my tank cycle? I have some LR in there now, and about 20 lbs of LS that I am going to sift from the CC. I ran all this by my LFS and they said that my tank shouldn't "miss a beat". anyone have any sugestions? and also, how many pounds of sand are needed to make about 5" bed? I have read about making the bed, and no one said how much it took.

nm reef

If you are talking about an established system...sifting the sand from your crushed coral and replacing it with new sand plus the addition of 50lbs of cured LR could start a mini cycle. Even if the LR is fully cured the disruption of the sand bed alone can be a source of concern.
Is there any way you could temporarily remove the fish and other critters? I'd bet you wouldn't need to keep them out for long but I would at least have them removed until the system re-settles...and you insure things are alright as far as any spikes in ammonia. Its not likely but you could have a serious spike in ammonia that could be lethal to the fish/critters you've listed.
In regard to the amount of sand formula:
length x width x desired depth x .0579 = lbs sand for desired DSB:cool:

rane

I would say 1.5 to 2lbs of sand per gallon, thats what I did with my tank and got a pretty good size sand bed, on my 155gl I am using 250lbs of southdown and I am going to add 40 or 50lbs of live sand on top...anyone think otherwise please let me know but I like the way it looks.

ok, I found some white sand at a pool place.........it's a little bigger than sugar grain....it's called "Mystic White" it's used for pool filters, any thoughts on this?

ok, 100 lbs of dead sand, and 40 lbs of live sand are in........got about 5 inches deep, do I need to let it the cloudiness settle before I put my fish and inverts back in?