Convict Tangs

I have a 150 gallon tank and was wondering if i put about 3 convict tangs in together at the same time will they school?
Thanks

trunkster

You shouldn't put tangs in a tank that size, they will outgrow it too fast, general rule, 1000 gallon minimum for tangs

brewski4u1

^^ to above poster! your wrong! well not totally but mostly!
on this site they seem to have the rule of thumb tank must be at least 6ft long ! so i don't know tank dimensions to i cant answer the OP's question but if i had to guess i think you might be able to!

kjr_trig

I think it could work out if introduced together. The larger the tank they better off you would be, 150 is borderline for a "school" of convicts, but they are not aggressive my Tang standards.
This description comes off a rival site.
The Convict Surgeonfish is one of the more interesting in coloration. Though it’s white and black striped appearance may seem rather plain, the coloration this fish takes on under good lighting is quite striking. May sometimes tend to be a little aggressive with other Convict Surgeonfish, can be kept in groups providing they are all added simultaneously. A school of Convict Surgeonfish makes for a great display in a larger home aquarium or public facility. Is likely to be harassed and bullied by other tangs and is best kept with other peaceful Acanthurids such as Naso and Sailfin Tangs. Beneficial in helping pick at hair algae, the Convict Surgeon will spend their day picking at rockwork and occasionally sand in search for hair algae to eat.

aquaknight

Brewski, I think you may have missed some of the sarcasm I detected in trunkster's post.

My answer to the original question is no. There has to be a reason for fish to school, be it safety in numbers from large predators, or in the Convicts case, attacking schools of Powder Blue tangs. In a closed aquarium, Convicts like almost 99% of other fish will loose their schooling (technically sohaling IIRC?) habits.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2624064
Brewski, I think you may have missed some of the sarcasm I detected in trunkster's post.

My answer to the original question is no. There has to be a reason for fish to school, be it safety in numbers from large predators, or in the Convicts case, attacking schools of Powder Blue tangs. In a closed aquarium, Convicts like almost 99% of other fish will loose their schooling (technically sohaling IIRC?) habits.

I guess I am looking at it more as "will they get along" rather than "will they school together".
I saw the same documentary where the 4 or 5 Powder Blues tried to chase off the 200 Convicts
Very cool.

aquaknight

Yea, I think that was more of the question, but it's easy to forget that Convicts usually come in small and are non-aggressive at that size, but they are Acanthurus after all, that do reach 10.5".

Thanks guys idk they might school i wiill have to see i might ask one of my local fish dealers who keeps a few from time to time,or i could just settle for one.