cook live seafood?

deejeff442

i was at the asian supermarket today getting raw food to make fish food this weekend.
well i walked over to the seafood part of the store and there was a tank of dudgeonous (spelling?) crabs .they must have been 8 inch diameter.also smaller 4 inch blue crabs.all live i also saw big bags of live crawfish.i really wished i knew how to cook these guys and what to put on them.also what parts to eat lol.
i am thinking snake would know.if i can figure it out i will be back there pretty soon.
funny i was the only white guy in there.mostly thailand peeps.i felt like a giant they are so small and short lol.one of my best friends is from there ,this is how i found the place .there is some really odd stuff in this joint.i saw frozen frog legs like 8 inches big ,fruit i have no idea what they are .and a weird smell to the place.but got all thr stuff for my fish.
krill,squid,shrimp,crab and sardines with the heads cut off.all raw.also stopped at the lfs for zoe and seaweed to add to it.the fish will be happy for sure.
and sigh.... the lfs i go to sometimes it is 99% freshwater but he gets in some salt fish .not alot but he seems to get some rare stuff and they are always healthy looking.well today he had two 5 inch copperband butterflyfish ,perc clowns and a fricken awesome 1 inch diameter 2 foot long snowflake eel.3 out of the 4 things on my tattoo.i really really wanted the eel.but nowhere to put him till i move

stdreb27

ok get you one of these (good ones are actually welded) this one is a piece of crap, but you get the idea. http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27749_-1?Ntt=Fryer&Ntk=All
Then get you a big pot (this one is way overkill but you get the idea)
http://www.boilcrawfish.com/pages-productinfo/product-181/bayou-classic-100-quart-crawfish-pot.html?zenid=6152c7e8b2482749502b1e20021aa578
(actually never mind just read this,)
http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Articles/Crawfish_Facts.htm
But here is the deal, I cook em for like 10 minutes let em soak for 10 minutes. But I like the fire....
Oh and, I do
small tatos, think eat it like an apple
onions,
garlics
mushrooms
I strongly prefer louisiana crawfish seasoning. Season to taste... This basically works with any crab

deejeff442

i have no idea .but they were pretty big and live. i was looking more at trying the crabs.funny i am not even sure what parts to eat

stdreb27

Really, I might have to start calling around...
Crabs have meat in their legs, and around the base of their legs. Usually I pop the top, break em in half, peal off the lungs, then remove their legs from the body, and start picking.

deejeff442

there is a place here in willow park just inside parker county.they do crawfish.i think they are awesome but i really dont have anywhere to compare them to.
i have never ate full sized crabs though.i would love to try them but i will have to learn more first.i could ask them at the store but my thailand language skills arent too good .i know some from my friend but no way to make conversation.and their english is horrible

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/390299/cook-live-seafood#post_3455648
there is a place here in willow park just inside parker county.they do crawfish.i think they are awesome but i really dont have anywhere to compare them to.
i have never ate full sized crabs though.i would love to try them but i will have to learn more first.i could ask them at the store but my thailand language skills arent too good .i know some from my friend but no way to make conversation.and their english is horrible
usually we just go catch ours. and boil em.

reefraff

I know someone who raises crawdads. Pretty good demand for them from restaurants, He holds out the unusual ones and sells them to aquarium stores.

deejeff442

where the F is snake.i figured he would know how to cook this stuff? so i have to settle for hot dogs tonight

travelerjp98

When we were vacationing in Tybee Island GA this summer, we caught our own blue crabs with a net and nothing else! We just chased em around with a net, and 4 of us caught enough to feed our whole group of 9 people within an hour! Quite honestly cooking crabs is easy. Just throw them in a pot and boil them for like 10 minutes. Lol... nothing to it!

snakeblitz33

Lol. I'm lurking.
Bought a bunch of baby stuff bought Netflix and a new video camera I'm playing with. Lol.
I boil em with some regular crawfish boil. Extra spicy. They aren't good unless they are really seasoned well. I usually though buy em boiled and hot from coney island. Lol! They also sell em live and have their own spice they sell.

dragonzim

We dont get live dungeness crab or crawdads here, but we do get some great blue claw crabs. Get yourself some Old Bay seasoning and steamboil them up in that. HEAVEN!!!!