Cooking Live Rock

hurt

No it does not involve an oven.
Over the past 9 months or so I have had a constant battle with bryopsis in my tank. No matter what I did it would not go away. I tried Vodka, Prodibio, large water changes, phosban, and I fed my tank only once a week. Nothing worked. The whole time this was going on my NO3 and PO4 were both at 0. My chaeto has been dying during this whole process. So I know there are no nutrients in the water, at least by the time my water gets to my fuge. I now have no chaeto at all. My sps used to grow very quickly, but recently growth has been extremely limited. I was so frustrated and did not know what to do, then I came across a thread on the other large message board which has finally given me hope.
Quick background on my tank. I've had my tank for 6 years now, and I bought it off a guy who previously had it set up for 2 years. So my LR and LS have been in a closed environment for about 8 years now. I remember when I set it up, all the crap that came out out the LS and the rotten egg smell. So the sandbed has been saturated for at least 6 years now.
So I've accepted the fact that my LR and LS are both saturated with nutrients and are giving off nutrients back into my tank. That is the reason the bryopsis is growing. It's taking the nutrients up from the LR before it has a chance to enter into the water column.
Now on to cooking LR. This process does not kill LR, rather it recharges as if it were brand new by cleaning the detritus out of it that has accumlated over the years. This is done by putting the LR in a dark environment which leads to a bacterial driven environment instead of an algae driven environment which the LR is normally in. This forces the bacteria to clean out the LR as it is their only source of food. You will be amazed at how much detritus can accumulate in LR over the years, clogging it and chocking it.
cont.

hurt

This process involves time(between 2 and 3 months), a powerhead, heater,buckets and salt for fresh water changes. You take the LR out of your tank and putting in an environment where no light is present at all. You must use new saltwater, as the object is to take away the food source so the bacteria can only use the nutrients stored in LR.
-Make new water
-fill up a couple of buckets and another container to store the LR in darkness between cleanings.
-In the first bucket take a piece of LR and dunk, dip, swish, and blast with a powerhead to assist in releasing detritus.
-Then take the same piece and dunk in next bucket to do the same process to release more detrius.
-you will need a few buckets as it becomes quite evident once you begin how much crap is in your LR
-after you have dunked, dipped, swished, and blasted all the LR with powerheads, put the LR in a large container with a powerhead, heater, and a lid(slighty cracked to allow gas exchange), but the point is to keep it in darkness to starve the algae.
-repeat process ever week
eventually the amount of detritus coming out the LR will not be as much.
After a few months of this process, the LR will once again be free of nutrients and of course it will still be alive. I'm not suggesting everyone go out and cook your LR, but if your LR is relatively old, and you are having problems with algae while your readings are showing 0, most likely your LR is saturated with nutrients. I'm doing half of my LR at a time and once I complete the other half I'm taking the sand bed out and going BB with a RDSB.
First pic is the bucket the LR was in for a week and the amount of detritus that has come out of LR.
Second pic is one of the buckets after I used it for dunking, dipping, swishing, and blasting the powerhead.
Last pic is LR after a cleansing in the container I keep it in(total darkness) until next weeks cleansing

jaymz

This is great! I have always heard that after 5 years or so that your tank kind of goes under and you need to swap out your sand and rock because they have come to there useful end. But this kind of explains why and how to fix it. It seems like a lot of work and money spent on salt and supplies, but it has to be much cheaper than replacing premium LR.
Thanks
This should be archived or sticky'd

spanko

Here is sort of an adjunct to what Hurt has been discussing here. Copy and past this in a google search:
Does old tank syndrome really exist? Julian explains changes that the tank goes through as it gets older.

cowfishrule

very interesting.
i had the thought to whack half of my lr and let it recycle to recharge it.
my rock is going on 5 years now actually and im noticing some problems.

culp

the guy at my LFS has used to the same sand and rock for 20 years with out any problem.

socal57che

Originally Posted by Culp
http:///forum/post/3002463
the guy at my LFS has used to the same sand and rock for 20 years with out any problem.
Some people can.
Some people have used tap water for years, as well. Doesn't mean everyone should.
I think people can tell when this method of rejuvenation is a viable option. For people who have algea issues and clogged pores, I'd definitely recommend it. Seeing the garbage that comes out during the process is an eye opener to say the least.

michael1972

What about just taking it out and drying it and then rinsing it off “power washing it”
That way when it is dry you can kind of wash it. Then reseed it with some live rock?
Just my .02

socal57che

Originally Posted by MICHAEL1972
http:///forum/post/3006027
What about just taking it out and drying it and then rinsing it off “power washing it”
That way when it is dry you can kind of wash it. Then reseed it with some live rock?
Just my .02
This process forces the bacteria to deplete the nutrients already present on and IN the rock. (we are talking deep
inside the rock) This cannot be done by drying and pressure washing, IMO. Besides, you still have live rock when you are finished. Why kill the rock when you can naturally polish it?
There are some major threads on the "big" reef forums. Anyone fighting a seemingly uncurable, ongoing algae problem should research it.

santamonica

If you keep the phosphate level in your water down, it will not build up in your rocks, and thus will not need cooking, etc. You'd want to keep your phosphate less that 0.03 or so.

hurt

Been a while since I've been online, I see some understand the concept and some don't. I know cooking LR works, after I finished cooking the rock, my Bryopsis is gone, and I now have none of the issues I had prior to cooking.
As far as phosphate is concerned, I never had phosphate above .001 with LaMotte test kits. I have an Octopus NW 200 with a Sicce pump that is fed Kalk water from my ATO, and lots of Xenia in my fuge. As I stated though I did not own the LR originally, I bought it "used" from a friend. This is what my tank used to look like before the power went out, after this happened I battled Bryopsis for at least a year till I learned about cooking LR. My tank crashing is the reason I had to cook my LR .
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/283727/when-the-power-goes-out
Cooking LR works

kingpin8771

Yes it does work.I had to do the same thing after a ice storm 2 years ago.It had the p;ower down for 6 days and my tank crashed hard.I cooked the rock in a manner close to what you describe.and it worked awsome.

florida joe

Copy of my E-mail
I may may will be all ears
Last reminder. Our March meeting is tomorrow from 3:30 to 5:00 at the Imaginarium in Fort Myers. Julian Sprung will be our guest speaker. He will be speaking about water quality/chemistry. For more info, visit the forums on the website.
Regards,
The SWFMAS Team.

socal57che

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3248297
Copy of my E-mail
I may may will be all ears
Last reminder. Our March meeting is tomorrow from 3:30 to 5:00 at the Imaginarium in Fort Myers. Julian Sprung will be our guest speaker. He will be speaking about water quality/chemistry. For more info, visit the forums on the website.
Regards,
The SWFMAS Team.
Sir, you never fail to bewilder me.
I would, however, like to hear this Julian Sprung fellow. I have read some of his work and consider him to be somewhat of an expert in the field. I think I have even gone as far as sending links of his writings to fellow hobbyists so as to also enlighten them. Will you be taking a video camera?

florida joe

Sir, you never fail to bewilder me.
Bewilder To confuse, puzzle or befuddle someone, especially with many different things; To disorientate someone
I try my best
actually we are not allowed to record the speakers although I am sure many people do. Is there a specific question you have that he may have addressed

florida joe

Actually he is one of the best in the field IMO although sometimes he comes off full of himself(he speaks at my club often) that's why I enjoy his lectures

socal57che

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3249638
Actually he is one of the best in the field
I agree 100%. I have read several of his articles, which is exactly why I'm interested in what he has to say. I send a couple links to his works in emails to people interested in learning more about the hobby. I think the list of links is up to nearly 100. The list includes links relating to beginning and setting up, to advanced water chemistry...most of which, I'm sure you are familiar with. Sprung, Holmes-Farley, Fenner, Shimek are among the many authors. When new hobbyists show a willingness to learn more, I send them "the list."

florida joe

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/3250914
I agree 100%. I have read several of his articles, which is exactly why I'm interested in what he has to say. I send a couple links to his works in emails to people interested in learning more about the hobby. I think the list of links is up to nearly 100. The list includes links relating to beginning and setting up, to advanced water chemistry...most of which, I'm sure you are familiar with. Sprung, Holmes-Farley, Fenner, Shimek are among the many authors. When new hobbyists show a willingness to learn more, I send them "the list."
Seek out some publications from J. Charles Delbeek, he is on the same level as J. Sprung