Cool Science Fair Projects

J

jrthomas40

make a car out of 3 hangers and 2 rubber bands and make it roll 25 meters

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by turtlegirl933
I have to do a science project now and I have no idea wat to do. Any ideas?
Turtle make a light powered by a potato. That would be cool.. or can you make some kind of POWER, by dropping methos in a 2 litter pepsi bottle?

johnbob

You could do what I did. Back in the day I did a science fair product on the effectiveness of tap water filters(pur, brita, etc.) vs a homemade sediment filter and tested for different metals and minerals. I ended up winning first place. Suprisingly the sediment filter was the most effective.

scsinet

I did two science fairs in school. One was on solar energy, and the other was a comparison of different types of artificial light for growing plants. Another one I wanted to do was to test the effectiveness of various types of insulation used in homes.
... or the effectiveness of electro-shock therapy in thwarting excessive spending in very expensive hobbies? You could be the test subject.

sigmachris

Have you had any desire to have a 3 gallon pico fish tank? If so, set up one up with new water, uncured rock, and a little bit of live sand and do the science project on the process of the nitrogen cycle of a fish tank. I say use uncured rock and new water because if you use rock and water from your current tank it might not cycle. The pico should be small enough that you could carry it to school carefully if it is required. The benefits are obvious, your homework is something you already enjoy and you get another small fish tank out of the deal.
You could also do a 10 gallon frag tank for the cycle and incorporate fragging mushrooms, take a few and cut them into fourths and show how fast they regenerate into full size mushrooms. There are a lot of possibilities for a science project with this hobby.

nano reefer

Originally Posted by SCSInet
the other was a comparison of different types of artificial light for growing plants.
I did an experiment like that. I grew plants using Black light, red light, a plain light bulb, and no light. Black light won, and red even beat house lightbulb.

fish crazy

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
Have you had any desire to have a 3 gallon pico fish tank? If so, set up one up with new water, uncured rock, and a little bit of live sand and do the science project on the process of the nitrogen cycle of a fish tank. I say use uncured rock and new water because if you use rock and water from your current tank it might not cycle. The pico should be small enough that you could carry it to school carefully if it is required. The benefits are obvious, your homework is something you already enjoy and you get another small fish tank out of the deal.
You could also do a 10 gallon frag tank for the cycle and incorporate fragging mushrooms, take a few and cut them into fourths and show how fast they regenerate into full size mushrooms. There are a lot of possibilities for a science project with this hobby.
good idea got any other ideas for projects in this hobby

sigmachris

Originally Posted by Fish Crazy
good idea got any other ideas for projects in this hobby
Depending on what grade you are in, the cycling process would be the single biggest "science" aspect that you could describe, diagram, etc. You could also go into the water chemistry, how you test it, what you test for, what parameters are ideal for fish, inverts, and coral.
If you really want to go the extra mile, describe how calcium, pH, alk, and magnessium all work in a synergy with each other. When you figure that out, shoot me an email / post explaining it.
My kid is only 2 years old and I thought of doing this science project with him in 10 or 12 years last summer. Like I mentioned before, your homework is on a topic you already love and enjoy. If you propose this idea just right to your parents you could end up with a pico, nano, or frag tank out of this. I keep going to the smaller tanks for cost reasons but also I would imagine you would eventually need to transport the tank to school.