Cool shot of Sunburst Anthias....

ryebread

Here is a pretty neat shot of my Fathead Sunburst Anthias. This has been by far the hardest fish that I have ever kept.......it is finally eating now and everything is good but, it was a hard time getting him to eat.

spsfreak100

Ryebread,
Amazing picture! It's really beautiful!
The Sunburst Anthias can be quite difficult to keep. I used to have a very nice pair back in June. I lost one to a Heat Wave and the second from stress without the mate. Mine both ate like pigs, though. They are indeed very beautiful!
Take Care,
Graham

chef jaysen

Ok rye needless to say I am at awe with the pic, BUT, what the heck did you do to the pic. Is that the actual picture? Why is the background black. I am always impressed with your pic but you usually say they are al natural. Whats up brother......... Tell me how to do that picasso.........Cheers..........

ryebread

Thanks Graham! I knew that I was taking on a challenge going with a single specimen....I am still looking for a smaller Sunburst for a pair although he seems to be well adjusted now.
Jaysen- It's pretty easy really........my background is black. :) I shot this photo with flash when the Anthias was up in the back corner of the tank......he wasn't by any rockwork or anything.....just against the black background. Lucky shot I'd say.
I have always had blue backgrounds in the past but, I really like the painted jet black background really well now. It makes everything stick out. Thanks for the compliment. :)

yosemite sam

Rye, unbelievable picture! What do you feed yours? I got one about a week and a half ago. It's been building up confidence since then and now cruises the tank but at feeding time it just nips here and there. He is eating, just not a lot. I feed all my fish a mix of Forumla 1, Formula 2, brine shrimp, garlic and Zoe. I saw the fish eat several times at the LFS before I got it (which was one of the things that convinced me to buy it) I know they are timid fish, but I'm just wondering if there's anything special you add?
SUNBURST ANTHIAS 1
SUNBURST ANTHIAS 2

ryebread

Hey Sam-
I failed with many, many, many different types of food before I created an interesting mix.
I took some live brine babies and added garlic to the cup they were in. Kent Garlic Xtreeme actually was used and I let the little live brine guys soak it up for about thirty minutes. I added Cyclop-eeze to the brine mix as well. (Don't know if that helped) I turned off all pumps.......left the halides off and basically surrounded the Sunburst with garlic soaked live brine and Cyclop-eeze. He ate right away. This was after over ten days of him not eating anything else. Now he eats frozen brine, mysis shrimp, ocean plankton, Formula 1 flake. :)
Beautiful specimen you have there.........the fish I mean. :D

T

thomas712

Awesome Ryan, absolutly awesome. You wanta come shoot my wedding for me? :D

ryebread

Wedding eh? I am probably already shooting one depending on what day it is........I hate shooting weddings but, these fish don't pay for themselves. ;)
Michigan is a little far for just a newbie shark ya know.....maybe if it were Beth or Ophiura I would visit them but,.........:p