Coolest QT idea

Well im in my chemsitry class in school
and I was thinking that I heard that cleaner shrimps have a tenancy to clean bad bacteria from fish for example like hippo tangs. So im wondering what if I set-up a QT and put like two cleaners in there and have like a seperate DT but also a QT for QTing fish. For example if I buy a Hippo tang and I want to QT it to get rid of any ick of any sort and the cleaners can be in there cleaning him and checking for anything. What you guys think ?

Well, for an example, in my species only tank, I have an adult Favigineus
and even though its a species only I keep 4 cleaner shrimp with him because they keen all over his body and in his mouth, as well as half way down his throat.
The only real problem is making sure that your fish in the QT don't mined being picked about by the Cleaner shrimp. Some Fish find it aggravating and bite at the shrimp.

mkzimms

good idea in theory... i have an angel right now im about to QT for ich and my shrimp has been working her over pretty well to clean her up while everything is getting ready. however, my clown has ich too and wont let the shrimp anywhere near him. your other issue would be actually treating the fish if need be, shrimps can not deal with the hypo or copper treatments.

michaeltx

yes but you will have to remove the shrimp if you have to medicate the QT because they will not survive the hypo or ick and other disease treatments.
Mike

lexluethar

I would say thumbs down, great concept but to hope that the shrimp clean off every little piece of bad bacteria is far fetched.

mkzimms

you could do it, but the effectiveness will mostly depend on the individual fish's desire to be cleaned.

michaeltx

no not really because there are different stages of the life cycle of ick and the cleaners only clean one stage of the parasite.
Mike

michaeltx

A = The trophozoites in the host's skin.
B = Trophont leaving the host.
C = The mature trophont with hundreds of maturing tomites.
D = The releasing of tomites that penetrate the skin of the host fish.
A = The cycle continues all over again.
Most fish keepers overlook the fact that there are a number of species of Ich -- how many not yet determined. Each species varies to some extent in its life history. There is considerable confusion in the literature on the subject. The visible stages of Ich are carried out on or in the surface of the host fishes' skin and fins. This first stage or stages of the life cycle which are the most visible to observers are the white spot cysts that are called trophozoites and are highly resistant to drug therapy. In sufficient numbers they harm the fishes to which they are attached to the extent that they can kill them.
Trophozoites mature into trophonts and leave the host, normally for most known species of Ich proceeding to the bottom of the aquarium or pond. These mature trophonts release from 200 to 1,000 "young" for freshwater species called tomites, and up to 250 or more tomites for tropical marine species. These tomites move about looking for a fish host, which they must find, depending upon which species they are, within 4 or 5 hours up to 2 to 3 days at 75° F (24° C) -- the time involved depending upon the Ich species. If they do not find a new host, most or all will die. A few may survive by attaching to the surface of an invertebrate or plant, but this happens only exceptionally. Cooler water temperatures will lengthen the time that the trophonts have to find a host. It is during this free swimming stage that the Ich are most vulnerable to treatment.
It is important to note that these intermediate stages may also attach themselves to plants, or onto flat surfaces of aquatic invertebrates (snails, coral, anemones, etc.), and be accidentally introduced into an aquarium or pond along with new plants or invertebrates. Once the tomite attaches to the host, it matures, forms the white spot cyst becoming trophozoites, and the cycle continues anew.
HTH
Mike

grim_reefer

you are better off running copper in the QT imo.. if you did have a shrimp or two in there to take care of the fish - or keep them company - you would have to keep removing them when the quarantine time is over as you will want to do a 100% water change on the QT..
jmo

lion_crazz

Bad idea. You completely defeat the purpose of a quarantine tank if you are going to have inverts in it. Inverts cannot be exposed to any kind of medication or treatment of any sorts.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/2560841
Bad idea. You completely defeat the purpose of a quarantine tank if you are going to have inverts in it. Inverts cannot be exposed to any kind of medication or treatment of any sorts.
Precisely. As mentioned, cleaners will not remove all of the parasites anyway. If you do need to treat the fish then what would you do with the inverts? They cannot go into the display after being in contact with ich.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2560856
Precisely. As mentioned, cleaners will not remove all of the parasites anyway. If you do need to treat the fish then what would you do with the inverts? They cannot go into the display after being in contact with ich.
This is a good point that most people do not think of. Since the inverts can transport the parasite, you would be infecting whatever tank you put the inverts in, unless you have yet another separate tank just for the shrimp to go in for the 6-8 weeks.