Cooling A Tank?

B

bildotang

Ok, so most people with reef tanks run MH's, so how do you keep your tank temperature down? Do all of you run chillers? My tank is always at 80 naturally, no heater or chiller, just something to do with the temperature of my house. So if I build my DIY MH's, the tank temp. will surely raise because I'll be using (3) 250 watt bulbs. Should I just suck it up and buy a chiller, or is there a cheaper method? Any input would be great. Thanks.

aldog51

You definitely need a chiller. I just got one because my halides were raising my temp about 3-4 degrees. So now it stays steady at 79 degrees. I got a great price for one on ---- about 300.00 it is rated for a 75G but I got it on a 54G.

robchuck

Another option is to use fans blowing across your display tank and sump. The fans encourage evaporative cooling, and you would be surprised how efficient evaporative cooling is.

B

bildotang

So, having my glass lids on keeps some of the heat inside the tank! Ok, so this is the only (2) ways to keep the temp. down. Do the chillers have thermostats? Or do they just run constantly? I ask this because I'm wondering if I need to run a chiller and a heater in the winter to control the temp.

hondo

Fans blowing across the sump and across the top of the tank will be pretty effective. will it increase water evaporation, yes but then so will the extra heat from the MH. Water and fans are alot cheaper than a chiller, but if $$$ is no object then a chiller is nice to have.

aldog51

Yes a chiller has a built in thermostat and will go on only when the temperature fluctuates about 1 to 1.5 degrees.

B

bildotang

Ok, one last question........ how do you keep fish from jumping out of the tank? Don't some gobbies like to jump?

golfish

I'd suck it up and buy a chiller, specially if you have a canopy. Fans will help a lot but its best to be safe. I run an open top tank (Rancho Cucamonga) and I have a large 9" fan blowing across the top. Most of the time my tanks stays around 80, as the days goes on with the lights the temp slowly creeps up to 81.5... then my chiller kicks in a cools it down to 79.5 and I'm good for the rest of the day. Sometimes if its real hot and I'm not running the AC the chiller will run two or three times.

h2oengr

Although the MHs give a great look and allow more diversity in your selection of corals, I went with the PCs because of the initial cost difference in lights, but also because of the additional power cost, chiller cost and ugliness of the open top.
Just my opinion . . . I'm waiting to get blasted by some hard core MH reefers! :nervous: