Cooling down the tank

kingzfan

Hi all...
I am starting up my reef tank...my question to all of you would be, How can I keep the temp. from going out of the roof? Right now my temp in my tank is around 80 - 82 degrees. I don't have a heater in this and the house is not too warm at all. I do have my power compact lighting on a glass top over the water. Is there anything I can do to keep the temp down...By the way, right now I can't afford a chiller..maybe in the future. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

shep

ditch the glass tops for starters. I had them with my 55 and had tons of heat issues until i got rid of them. mount it to the canopy and be done with it. I went with a hanging fixture with my 125 but may go back to canopy due to bother of knocking head on fixture alot when playing in tank.

hairtrigger

Yep, canopy mounting and maybe throw a couple of cheapo computer fans on it. Should take care of it, since your tank really isnt overheating anyway. Maybe a degree or two depending on who you ask. You may even need a heater if you add a fan. :cool:

richard rendos

I think removing the glass tops and adding a fan or two would do the trick also. Your evaporation level will increase...so have top off water ready everyday.