Cooling fan vent ideas needed!

ifirefight

I am in the process of building a new hood. I am using 2 comp. fans for cooling.It works very well but it is BUTT UGLY. Most of the vent covers are also butt ugly.....what
does everybody else use. Thanks in advance

sign guy

thats some good cutting there. I would look at granger or northern tools to find a vent flap and paint it. Thats what I plan to do

ifirefight

Originally Posted by sign guy
thats some good cutting there. I would look at granger or northern tools to find a vent flap and paint it. Thats what I plan to do
Im picking up a liitle sarcasam there sign guy.... LOL Yea..I used a Roto-Zip POS for that hole.. My "new" canopy is much nicer. A vent flap???? Im afraid it will restrict the air flow.

sign guy

not enough to make a difference. I talking about the same thing the dryer hose exits your house through.

ifirefight

I talking about the same thing the dryer hose exits your house through.
Thats exactally what I was thinking to do...except build it from wood. I thought it may restrict air flow.... I guess its worth a try..Thanks.

ifirefight

Well it seems to have worked. Held it up there,doesnt seem to restrict the flow. :jumping: :jumping:
Thanks for the help

ifirefight

thats not what I was refering to....but ok
Yea, I know. A vent flap design would have worked on the exhaust fan but not for the intake fan. Im using cross ventalation,one on the left blowing in the one on the right blowing out.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by socal57che
I'm pretty impressed with the home-built dryer vent looking appendage. Great job!
Thank you...As for the speaker grille cover ideas....As you may or may not know... The closer an object is to a fan...the more DRAG it places on that fan...thus reduceing the capacity of such fans cooling capacity.
Also...I dont want my hood looking like some boom box.

socal57che

Originally Posted by ifirefight
Thank you...As for the speaker grille cover ideas....As you may or may not know... The closer an object is to a fan...the more DRAG it places on that fan...thus reduceing the capacity of such fans cooling capacity.
Also...I dont want my hood looking like some boom box.

Thus we seperate scientific reason from the REAL reason!

zsqure

FLIP THE "DRYER VENT" OVER. OOPS sory didn't mean to yell. Hot air rises.
Adding the plenum may cause the heat to be sucked out and more air can be pushed through.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by zsqure
FLIP THE "DRYER VENT" OVER. OOPS sory didn't mean to yell. Hot air rises.
Adding the plenum may cause the heat to be sucked out and more air can be pushed through.
Not a bad idea really. Im just afraid the kids would try to use it as a basketball hoop. I am re-designing my exhaust options. I may exhaust in the top instead....so its not as noticeable.

i have two 4in pc fans on my with a grill cover with a filter covering the fans. look nice and at the same time it helps keep the fan from blowing things in.