copepods

shwstpr88

Do you really have to shell out 25 bucks for a bottle of these, can you get them cheaper or is that really the cost of those things?

subielover

That's about right, my lfs sells them for about $18 per bottle, and I think a bottle has 500 or so. As long as you have a refugium, all you need is 1 or 2 bottles to get you started and they will do the rest.

shwstpr88

So you put them in the refugium them them breed....for how long? ANd then you just scoop them up in a net and dump in the display tank every now and again??

subielover

Well the pump from your fuge to the display will allow them to get into the DT. But you can always just take a clump of chaeto, if you are using chaeto in your fuge, and give it a little shake in the display and a lot of them should come out. They will go for cover in the rocks but some will also be eaten by your fish.

reefman22

kinda feel like a moron here but what is that bottled copes called? I'm hatching my own copepods with bio-genesis.
reefman

subielover

Hmm, never heard of bio-genesis. Anyway, my lfs sells arcti-pods, which are said to be a coldwater species that do not breed well in our warm reef tanks. They also sell a different bottle of pods but I am unsure of the name.

spanko

I have not heard that Arctipods or Tigger pods breed in our tanks. The are both cold water species. If some one has had them breed I would like to hear about it, how it went, how they did it.

reefman22

I've found another sale of copepods and amphipods thats recommended by SWF'ers on the auction site. It is where I will purchase mine momentarily. the price is much cheaper than other sites. If you cannot find what I am speaking about and are interested, PM me.
reefman

fireykat04

They sell copepods on this site for 10.99. They are under inverts, then go to shrimp. They are listed above or below the coral banded shrimp.