copper and nitrite

I have a small tang that got ich pretty bad so I put him in the QT yesterday. I tested the water in the QT yesterday and everything was fine. I just tested the water in the QT and found the Nitrite to be high, very high. Does the copper effect this test? Please let me know.
Steve

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you just set up a QT, then of course the QT is going to cycle. However, it will not even be able to cycle with copper in it, because the copper will kill off nitrifying bacteria. Thus you have the problem you are having.
I suggest you do a massive water change and, then, once everything is stable, begin with hyposalinity treatment for the ich.
Take a look at the FAQ section in this forum.

john f

FYI Beth,
Nitrites are almost non-toxic at NSW salinity levels.
So if his nitrites are high.........who cares?
Also..........I have used both hyposalinity and cupramine treatments and found BOTH to have a minimal effect on the nitrogen cycle. Copper CAN slow down the cycle of a new system, but so can hyposalinity.
That said, I agree that hyposalinity is a little easier to use and probably has a higher success rate that cupramine. Any other copper treatment than cupramine is third choice for sure.
John