Copper as preventitve??

4husky

I recently read somewhere that small levels of copper coud be used as a preventitive for ich? Am I crazy? Does anyone know if its true, and the maximum levels should be???
~Cat~

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There is probably some truth to that, however, I wouldn't suggested it....for the same reason that taking small dosages of antibotics every day to prevent infections is a bad idea.
Remember, cooper is also toxic to fish!

4husky

I thought that was the case, just needed to hear it again. I felt a hospital tank for sick ones was the best, but it struck my curiosity, but didn't curiousity kill the cat??? Thanks,
Cat

tjswanson

Copper is only toxic to fish that either 1. have been in a tank w/ copper at .3 for over 4 months or 2. copper level is kept over .3. But I do agree w/ beth, I wouldn't use copper unless you have a problem with ick or other parasites. (ps-there is only one kind of copper that works and only one test kit that works, Cupramine is the copper and the test kit is by Red Sea.) TJ

If you don't have corals, keeping hte tank temp at 80 to 82 is the best preventative against ick. Ick grows or whatever at 79 and below, so keeping the temp at 80 even reduces and almost elimates ick in the tank.
~~Megan

mr . salty

90 seems a little high.remember that at higher temps the amount of available o2 is reduced.STEVE
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 10-15-2000).]