Copper dosage

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hypo is a safer option, especially for a tang, and most especially if you are experiencing ammonia. Any buffer will do. Bring your change out water to 8.0 before adding to the system.

lmforbis

I think I will try hypo first. I'll still buy the other med and maybe a better copper test kit just in case, I like to be prepared. Target is to drop to 1.009 over several days correct?

lmforbis

Calibrated my refractometer and started dropping specific gravity on Tuesday. Down to 1.016 now. The spots disappeared just as fast as they appeared less than 12 hours. He still seems to be scratching himself so his skin must still be a bit irritated. He has gotten much more active since I started dropping the SG. Swims all over the tank like a maniac. Is this normal? is he just feeling better and acting like he should?. He has continued to eat well through this whole thing. His color is not great, more of a yellow than dark gray although he changes back and forth in color.

lmforbis

right now he is swimming into the power head. He isn't moving because of the flow. I guess it allows him to swim miles with out actually going any where. Kind of like a tread mill.

lmforbis

Hypo seems to be helping my powder brown with ich. SG has been at 1.009 since Sunday. I have seen no spots on him for a couple of days and no rubbing against rocks since yesterday. He isn't swimming as erratically as he was when I started dropping the SG a week ago, just cruising the tank, into to his castle then through his PVC tunnel then around again. He has never stopped eating, actually eats like a pig. Six more weeks and hopefully he'll be ready to move into the display.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hypo increases metabolism, so you will see an increase in appetite. 3-4 weeks will do as long as you check for ich daily using lighting and a magnifying glass.