Copper in a reef system

squirrel

I friend of mine has discovered copper in his system after killing a few corals and a lot of snails. Has anybody had any luck getting copper out of their system? If so how? Would a 50% water change help? He already put carbon in the sump. It is a 125 with a 55 gal sump. There are no inverts or coral in there to hurt anymore.

Thanks for any help!!!

fedukeford

i dont think theres really anyway to get rid of copper, it gets into the seels, so i guess if he gave the whole tank a good wash and removed and replaced all the silicon it might work, but if you do that it would probley be easier just to get a new tank

gen1dustin

I don't think he'd need a new tank or new LS & LR. Get some carbon & run itt. Carbon will remove things like copper. Also do a waterchange & just keep an eye out on them before adding antyhign else.

N

nluchau

Run a polyfilter - it will help. There are products to aid in the removal of Copper. I believe one is made by Seachems. Search for Coppersorb

my way

Poly filters, when they turn a deep blue, replace it with a new one until they no longer turn blue. And don't believe the BS about never being able to remove it.

gen1dustin

Originally Posted by My Way
And don't believe the BS about never being able to remove it.
Eaxctly there is so many products avaliable just for this. If it were me I would try multiple things it has inverts in it. Like carbon, polyfilter, & anything else he could find. Both carbon & a poly filter are going to be real cheap.

bsp

I agree on the poly filter it has always worked great for me after adding meds. I now run it all the time in my 12 gal.nano. If you have copper it will turn blue.

squirrel

Just remembered I had posted this...

Thanks for the replys. I told him to get the carbon before. What about a water change? How much of a water change should he do?
Brandi

acrylic51

Originally Posted by nluchau
Run a polyfilter - it will help. There are products to aid in the removal of Copper. I believe one is made by Seachems. Search for Coppersorb
Bob Fenner just did an article on that exact same thing....Don't remember what issue, but will go back and check, but as mention a polyfilter is what you'd use to remove copper. LR is questionable, but says a good flush and running the rock w/ polypad is feasible.....Sand should be discarded......Tank should be flushed really well, and all other items such as heaters, etc......
Again the running of the polypad would be your safest bet, along with testing for copper......

acrylic51

Originally Posted by fedukeford
i dont think theres really anyway to get rid of copper, it gets into the seels, so i guess if he gave the whole tank a good wash and removed and replaced all the silicon it might work, but if you do that it would probley be easier just to get a new tank
Some does leach into the silicone seals, but the amount is small, but still there, and use of polypad should negate any effects....The amount released back out of the silicone would be minimal and should be absorbed by the polypad and with testing should prove fine.