Copper in the rocks`

dindi

My FO 75 gal was treated 8 months ago with coppersafe, there are zero readings on 2 of my copper test kits. Put a sea cuke in and it vapor locked then died. All my calurpa is doing very well in my ecosystem. Now, the question, is copper still in my system even though my readings show zero? Please help guys/ gals.:confused:

robb

It's my understanding that you can never get rid of copper completely after you dose your tank with it.

I agree. Once copper is in your tank (with Live Rock) you will never get rid of copper even though the tests come out low or none. Now, just because you have copper doesn't mean you will have major problems. It's just that over time, copper can be released out from the rocks and the levels go up again. So you have 2 options:
1. Dump the live rock and buy new ones, which is VERY COSTLY, I am sure you know but you won't have to worry about it again. Or
2. keep your live rock and slowly add livestock, and monitor the levels and see what happens. You may be ok, but some of the more sensitive inverts or (fish) may have a problem with it. The inverts with an exoskeleton will tolerate more copper then the ones without. And hope everything goes well.
Good Luck!

fshhub

a NOTE ON COPPER, IT ALSO LEECHS INTO THE GLASS, NOT JSUT THE ROCK AND SAND, IT GETS INTO and on everything(sorry abou tthe caps)

marinerock

HI ALL....
I ALSO TREATED MY TANK WITH COPPERSAFE AFTER A TERRIBLE
OUTBREAK OF ICK....WHICH I LOST 2 VERY EXPENSIVE FISH....
THIS WAS BEFORE COMING ONTO THIS BB....HOWEVER, ACCORDING TO ALMOST EVERYONE HERE...ALL MY INVERTS WERE
SUPPOSE TO DIE....ALL OF THEM ARE STILL DOING JUST FINE...
HAVENT COUNTED EVERY SINGLE ONE, HOWEVER THERE IS STILL
LOTS OF MOVEMENT WHEN I FEED THE TANK....
ON ANOTHER NOTE....ALL OF US ADD FISH TO OUR TANKS...
HOW DO WE KNOW FOR SURE THAT THE FISH WE ARE ADDING, WERE NEVER IN COPPER TREATED WATER...THEN THE FISH IS
THEN ADDED INTO OUR TANKS WITH WATER STILL ON THEIR
BODIES...NOW THERE IS COPPER COMING INTO THE TANK THAT WAY...EVEN THOUGH THE AMOUNT OF WATER ON THEM IS MINIMAL, IT IS STILL BEING ADDED INTO THE TANK....
MOST FISH STORES DO USE COPPER AND TREATMENTS IN THEIR TANKS DUE TO THE CONSTANT TURNOVER OF FISH...OTHERWISE, THEY WOULD HAVE TOO MANY CASUALTIES....
ALOT OF PEOPLE WITH FO/FOWLR TANKS ALSO USE DEAD CORALS IN THEIR TANKS...THESE ARE USUALLY CLEANED PRIOR TO SALE WITH MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF CLEANERS INCLUDING BLEACH....NO ONE CAN REALLY SAY FOR SURE THAT ALL THE CLEANING FLUIDS ARE REMOVED FROM THE CORAL OR THAT THE CORAL HAS NEVER BEEN IN A COPPER TREATED TANK PRIOR...
ANYHOW...
HAVE A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR
TO YOU AND YOURS...
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

dindi

Well I could replace the LR but how is glass an absorbant? Just want to know. I just bought new lights for all my tanks and i will say...big diff!!!

marinerock

HI DINDI...
DONT KNOW FOR SURE...BUT I THINK THEY ARE REFERRING TO
THE SILICONE THAT HOLDS THE GLASS TOGETHER....NOT THE
GLASS ITSELF....
I ALSO DONT THINK THAT 1 TREATMENT OF COPPERSAFE IS
SUCH A TERRIBLE THING AND ITS GONNA STAY IN YOUR TANK
SYSTEM FOREVER...JUST MY OPINION...
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

dindi

Good to know, it was just 1 treatment but who knows? i won't replace my tank, jeeze that would be a total nightmare. LR..easy to replace even though it will cost $$$ worth it IMO

entice59

ahh i want to convert my dads fresh water discus tank, does anyone if people use Copper in freshwater tanks? i asked my dad but he had the tank for so long i dont know if i can tank his word for it

slick

Is there any proof that copper will stick to glass or silicone. I just was wondering if there was a link or anything.

jakob4001

get a copper test kit & test yourself...although glass may appear to be perfectly smooth, it is in fact porous...this might possibly allow various chemicals such as copper to remain in the tank & continue to leach out over time from the glass itself...IT IS KNOWN THAT TREATING MARINE TANKS W/ COPPER WILL LEAD TO MYSTERY DEATH OF INVERTS...yes, yes, yes, there will be the occasional person who says they used it w/ no ill effects; however, for that one person, there are usually 2 to 3 others that have die off because of it...so, I guess if you feel like gambling w/ your $$$ & invert lives, go for it...

entice59

the tank is acrlic, so yeah..... its been used for 10 years now, so yeah if the copper test kit says 0 then its 0 right????

jakob4001

ok, doubting thomas...quickest way I found online suggesting inverts & coper safe don't mix...was to go to *****'s site & view the product info for coppersafe by clicking on the price...as you scroll down, it restates some of the info for the product...part of that info says to remove inverts w/o exoskeletons...are you actually going to remove every little tiny snail/small brittle star from your tank???

dindi

Well heck it says it on the bottle... what is the after effect? my snails, shrimps, stars are all doing fine so what is next? I started this thread saying a sea cuke vapoer locked, it spewed it's threads of whatever then died. I don't know what to do? I will not add anymore things until I know whats what! I have a large tank but I'm afraid to add anymore inverts. Anyone please help:confused:

jarvis

I bought a used tank. I heard about this a little while ago. I instantly ran out and got a copper test kit. SAFE. whew. I have read a few sites of posts but not so much is hard proof and test data. I would like to see proof. My question is if copper leaches out of sillcone wouldn't it eventually over time be in so minute traces that is undetectable due to even the most sensitive critters. rocks and substate are plain as day to see that they would be bad for good or at least a very long time.

dindi

Reason for my post, my sea cuke vapor locked, in other words it did it's protective threads then died, now is this from my use of coppersafe? |No readings of copper using 2 different brands It still shows zero anyone? please help:confused:

beerman

I treated my tank with copper and my shrimp died too when I put them back in. I replaced the sand and live rock and now shrimp and everything else is fine. My copper test kits were always showing zero so I don't know how accurate they are.