copper level

norcal

what should my copper level be at to treat ich. it is currently about .20. I am using a product called mardel coppersafe. i put the copper in about 4 days ago and my niger is getting even more ich spots since i put in the coppersafe. any ideas/suggestions or info on what my copper level should be at. thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You need to follow the directions on that package. Coppersafe is not the best choice of copper for treatment. Copper will not be effective until after the ich has dropped off of the fish.
Any reason why you are not using hyposalinity to threat?

norcal

thanks beth. the reason i decided to go with copper was because i got scared off of hyposalinity. i heard from a few people that they lost a lot of fish. also, i heard it was really really hard to get the salinity to stay at the right level. too high, ich survives, too low, fish die. i guess i thought the copper would give my fish a better chance of survival. im getting really dissapointed and frusterated with this tank. ive had some really bad luck and i feel bad for my fish. im trying my hardest to do everything right....all my levels are good, i feed them a good variety. i dunno its just frusterating to get ich. i never had any problems with my first tank and now this one has been a lot more challenging. thanks for the help though, i did follow the directions on the bottle, so hopefully it will start to work well and i can get through this bump in the road.

unleashed

I have used coppersafe with very good results but even after the treatment time is up you will not be able to keep snails or other types of invert in that tank for up to a year.this has been my finding at least.

norcal

even if you do water changes like every day?! will live rock just die if i put it in there? oh well i guess i dont have to have inverts. what level did you keep the copper at?