copper pipes

wamp

You don't want saltwater touching copper. Corosion very fast.
That setup up was the input to an RO

javatech

Well that's my photo and i have the hose that go's to my ro/di taped in to the copper pipe not right to my tank the ro/di take it all out of the water if there is any. but i tested my water coming out of the tap and it had no copper in it

osolow

I saw that the other day when you put it up on another post.I like your idea I am going to hook my Ro/Di that way but I have some other type of pipes (not pvc or copper). I have been trying to come up with an idea for a chiller (I don't have 700.00 to buy one now).
my tank runs pretty cool now I just need to go down a few degrees when my MH come on. I know water going through metel would cool faster the going through pvc or Plastic and that is why I wanted to know if copper pipe would be bad to use.copper is alot cheeper then stainless steel to use.
here is a pic of what i'm trying to make:
thanks OsoLow

osolow

That coil is 120 feet long (100' 3/8" & 20' ¼) a 120 feet of stainless steel coil covered with ice. would cool room temperature water be served continuously at 40°F to 42°F. . High temperature (hot) product must be drawn at a lesser than continuous rate or two coils must be used in series if the 40°F to 42°F. is desired at the output.
with an out put that cold it would not have to run long just to drop it a few degrees I would think.
OsoLow

osolow

that's what I thought but i'm going to put the coil in a cold bath to drop the temp more so it will work more efficent.
you think it will work?
OsoLow

melbournefl

Before spending the time and money do a search of the net about homemade chillers. There are a couple of very good "scientific" (college student projects) articles about using the "dorm style" fridge as a tank cooler. Bottom line is that it won't work. For basically two reasons 1) not enough contact time in the fridge because you cannot use copper pipe and pvc/plastic pipe is a very poor conductor of heat/cooling, and 2) you can't turn one of those fridges down cold enough to compensate. There was one article telling how to handle an emergency cooling system which involved a bunch of frozen water jugs and a sump LOL ... sorry I don't have any of the links but I'm sure if you're really interested you'll find it on the web.
Just my .02 because I'm a "diy-aholic" and really wanted to try the same thing.
Later,
Paul

osolow

Reading on the web how other people did there chillers is how I got my idea. I know you can't use copper for the coil but I wanted to see what other people thought abought copper. I do know you can use stainless steel becouse thay use them in real chillers.The coil I posted a few post up is abought a 100.00 bucks a 6 gal stainless steel bucket (colder then Plastic) less then 20.00 bucks a Rio 3100 for the pump to and from my wet/dry I have and a power head for circulation in bucket. I found dorm style freezer it's should get colder then the fridge for less then 100.00 bucks.
MelbourneFL
I would like you input on this i'm new to the DIY thing for my tank but i'm good with my hands.
here is 1 ad that i did like.let me know what you think.
http://www.endingbids.com/Reef/pics/chiller.jpg
OsoLow

melbournefl

Hey there Osolow! I'm playing devils advocate here so don't get mad but ... in the plans that you posted the link to did you notice the "brains" an Octopus 3000 controller, there's another $350-$750 depending on options .... ummmmm that with the other costs, suddenly we're WAY over the cost of an inexpensive cooler.
Again just my .02,
Paul

osolow

What if I got one for christmas:D ;)
I didn't:( but what if.
I am going to use a CSL DUAL STAGE DIGITAL TEMPERATURE CONTROLLER 150 bucks.
Hay MelbourneFL
Thanks for being the devils advocate some one has to keep me on my toes.;)
OsoLow