Copper Question

kynekke

As I was heading out the door with my new fish purchase.. the owner of the store called out that all of their fish were in copper treated water. I saw the fish eat so I think it's ok but my question is... if I drip acclimate it (swf.com instructions) and then use a net to put the fish into the DT.. will the net contain enough water with copper to kill off my corals and snails?

michaeltx

if it were me what I would do is after drip add it to a large container of tank water and then catch it and place it in the tank just to reduce the amount of water from the LFS would get into your tank. better to be precautious in this type of situation.
are you useing a QT tank?
Mike

kynekke

Sorry, not DT but QT but I have some snails in there I don't want dead.
I got a Coral Beauty... I was sooo torn because they had these neon orange anthias and a hot pink starfish that were gorgeous but I had researched the CB and had no idea about the anthias or starfish.

kynekke

Gah, my new beauty took a carpet dive in the middle of the night. My QT is 3/3.. everything I've had in there has died.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Kynekke
Sorry, not DT but QT but I have some snails in there I don't want dead.
I got a Coral Beauty... I was sooo torn because they had these neon orange anthias and a hot pink starfish that were gorgeous but I had researched the CB and had no idea about the anthias or starfish.
If you netted a fish from LFS water mixed with QT water from the drip acclimation, not enough copper would be on the net to effect anything at all. I too am curious about the 3/3

tomclx

I think the 3/3 means "three for three". tHey have added three fish, and all three have died...I think.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by tomclx
I think the 3/3 means "three for three". tHey have added three fish, and all three have died...I think.
I thought that as well but we don't know for sure