Copper Treatment

n2retics

Ok I have a yellow tang with a small case of ich, I have copper safe in my qt tank( 10 G), is it ok to put my tang in with the copper, and what should my copper reading be in a 10g tank. Right now it is at .5
Thanks
Jerry

sepulatian

Originally Posted by n2retics
Ok I have a yellow tang with a small case of ich, I have copper safe in my qt tank( 10 G), is it ok to put my tang in with the copper, and what should my copper reading be in a 10g tank. Right now it is at .5
Thanks
Jerry
Tangs are sensitive to copper. Hyposalinity is the prefered treatment.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by n2retics
So if you already have copper in your qt how are you suppose to get rid of it?
What kind of copper did you use? The problem with copper is that it soaks into anything porous (including your silicone) then leeches back out later. You can change out the water and run carbon in it. Trace amounts won't hurt the fish, just don't use that qt for inverts. Do you have lr, ls, and inverts in your display? Were there other fish in with the tang? If so then all fish need to be treated even if they are not showing signs of ich yet.

n2retics

Yes I also have a Coral beauty which is already in the qt tank, 2 clowns which will be in there in the morning, and a golden head sleeper. I also have about 60-70lbs LR, 80lbs LS, plus 50+ Mushrooms, 2 star fish, BTA, snails, and hermit crabs.

n2retics

Oops, I forgot here is what it says about coppersafe
Stabilized copper effectively treats external parasites - Ich, velvet, flukes, and more
* Maintains a therapeutic level of copper safe for fish but effective against parasites
* Anti-parasitic treatment for aquarium fish - one dose treats for one month
Safely treat external parasites such as Ich, flukes, anchor worms, and velvet/protozoan diseases in saltwater and freshwater aquariums. CopperSafe, a unique stabilized form of chelated copper, is designed to maintain a therapeutic level of copper that is safe for fish but effective against parasites. Convenient Acu-measure bottle lets you quickly, easily, accurately measure the correct dosage - with no mess. One dose treats for one month. 4 oz treats 100 gallons, 16 oz treats 400 gallons. For freshwater or saltwater fish-only aquariums.

n2retics

Here is what I found on their web page. I just copied and pasted it. Would this be ok to use on a Yellow Tang and clown fish too. Another question is my QT tank is only 10g, would it be alright to put all 5 fish in the 10g qt tank for 2 weeks or do you think it would be to much for the bio load.
CopperSafe®
Chelated copper treatment recommended for the treatment of ick, flukes, anchor worms, velvet, protozoan diseases and other external parasites.
Benefit: CopperSafe is a chelated copper compound that is used for the treatment of infections of : Ick, Flukes (Gyrodactylus), Anchor Worms, Velvet/Protozoan diseases and other external parasites. CopperSafe when used as directed maintains a total copper level of 1.5 ppm to 2.0 ppm in the water. CopperSafe remains active for over one month in the aquarium. Levels of 0.3 ppm free copper are recommended in the literature for therapeutic use but with Coppersafe the levels of free copper will be measured at 1.5 ppm to 2.0 ppm. This level of copper can be used in the treatment of fish due to Coppersafe's unique chelating agent. The chelating agent binds with the copper making it nontoxic to fish but effective against parasites. CopperSafe does not color the water and will not interfere with the biological filter
Use: CopperSafe should be used when a diagnosis of the fishes illness indicates the presence of Ick, Flukes (Gyrodactylus), Anchor Worms, Velvet/ Protozoan Diseases and other external freshwater parasites. CopperSafe may cause an adverse reaction with some sensitive invertebrates. Invertebrates without an exoskeleton such as jellyfish and anemones should be removed before treatment. CopperSafe may be harmful to plants, amphibians and snails. A chelated or total copper test kit is required to measure CopperSafe. Coppersafe may cause inaccurate free copper readings when using certain test kits. All readings should be based on the total copper or chelated copper results and not the free copper results.Coppersafe is safe to use with U.V. Sterilizers, Protein Skimmers, Wet/Dry and Diatomaceous earth filters. After treatment Coppersafe can be removed from the aquarium by water changes, fresh activated carbon or other chemical filtration resins/pads. For use in both fresh and saltwater tanks.
Active Ingredients: Chelated Copper sulfate

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If your treatment water is not dosed with copper, but only your QT has been exposed to coppersafe, it should be ok for the tang. However, it is best to treat fish for ich with hyposalinity, rather than copper, whenever possible (especially tangs).

n2retics

So let me see if I am understanding this right. Right now I have my tank(qt/ Hospital) set up with the coppersafe in it, I tested it and it is reading .50. So putting the tang in it for 2 weeks would not be a good idea.
I am still pretty new to all of this, so I am still on the learning curve. But I would like to say thanks for all the help.
Jerry

sepulatian

All of your fish have to be treated, not just the tang. If you are going to treat them in a qt you are gong to need something larger than the 10 gallon for all of you fish. The display should remain fishless for 6 weeks to ensure that all of the ich in there has died off. You will need a qt large enough to house your fish for that amount of time. I realy think hyposalinity is the best option here. It is safe, no chemicals, and your fish are going to be in the qt for an extended period of time anyway. Why rush with a chemical that is going to have negative effects on the tang?