Copper

Since I was little I was always told not to throw coins into fish ponds because the copper in the coins would kill the fish. I know in the past people would throw a coin into their tank so that the copper would treat their fish, but I thought that it was just an old wives tale, and wouldn't actually work. Bu then quite a few people on this BB talk about using copper. Wouldn't in the long run, copper shorten the life of the fish? Am I just mistaken about what really happens when treating fish with copper?

jimi

It can shorten the life of a fish depending on the type of fish being treated, amount of copper, and how long the fish is exposed to copper treatment. It can damage the livers of fish and kill benifitial bacteria in tangs stomachs.

So even if it gave short term relief by getting rid of a parasite suck as ick, it is actually more harmful to the over all health of fish, not to mention a pain because it stays in everything it touches, i.e. substrate, tank, water, rock. If there are so many bad after effects, why does everyone use it?
~~Megan

jimi

Because it has been used for years, is very effective and fairly safe if used correctly.