copperband and coral

burch2006

I'm mainly looking for a reef safe butterfly (lol there has to be one that exists)! Does anyone have a copperband in their reef? I mean I'm sure you can keep him well fed but picking is always an issue. I had one of these amazing fish back before I had coral, but the powerhead I purchased was made poorly (koralia 4) and it shocked him to death. I want to do another copperband, but I dont want him to eat my mainly lps, and zoas.

flower

I kept a copperbanded butterfly for years, it didn't eat the aiptasia, but I had no issues with coral, I gave the fish way when I divorced and moved to Illinois...A year later I did get another, after 1 day the LTA killed it, so if it was a coral nipper I will never know.
Some do eat coral, some don't. My opinion is that if it will eat aiptasia, it will nip coral. If it leaves the aiptasia alone, it won't bother the coral either. So you just have to monitor to make sure the one you get is reef safe. It is hit or miss, I am afraid there are no way to be sure except to try one out and watch…
You might try, while in QT, to put a rock with some xenia on it in there with it, and see if it bothers it. It is very hard to catch a fish to remove it once its in the DT.