copperband butterflies

sharkboy13

i know evry1 says theyre hard but i really want one, does any1 have tips on keeping them? i know they like clams should i try stuff like that?

joojoo

They're finicky eaters. It's easier to get them to eat using a butterfly grid. Clams, squid, brine, chopped shrimp are preferred.

brainrush

Mine also liked freeze-dried tubiflex worms as a snack. Lost him during a 3 day power outage due to an ice storm. Now I have a generator for those kinds of emergencies.
The worms are the first thing I ever got him to eat.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by BrainRush
Mine also liked freeze-dried tubiflex worms as a snack. Lost him during a 3 day power outage due to an ice storm. Now I have a generator for those kinds of emergencies.
The worms are the first thing I ever got him to eat.
yes generators r one of gods greater inventions, ive nevr heard of tubiflex worms

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
yes generators r one of gods greater inventions, ive nevr heard of tubiflex worms
Tubifex are for FW as are bloodworms. Don't feed those to SW fish.

sepulatian

Some do great in home tanks after you get them to eat (which is difficult) and others will refuse to adapt to aquarium life. If you like the one at the LFS, watch them feed him and make SURE he eats. Then QT him. Most have a very poor survival rate in home aquariums. Just so you are aware.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Some do great in home tanks after you get them to eat (which is difficult) and others will refuse to adapt to aquarium life. If you like the one at the LFS, watch them feed him and make SURE he eats. Then QT him. Most have a very poor survival rate in home aquariums. Just so you are aware.
i know they have poor survival rates (ive been chided upon that b4) whats piscine? i know what mysis is but whats piscine?

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by Seattle
Canadian,Fresh-water,Glacier Mysis Shrimp.Works better than San Fransico Bay

ok

trainfever

Try feeding them live black worms, mine went crazy over them. They will also eat all your tiny feather duster worms, if you have any. Mine also prefered granules or pellets over flake food.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by trainfever
Try feeding them live black worms, mine went crazy over them. They will also eat all your tiny feather duster worms, if you have any. Mine also prefered granules or pellets over flake food.
do u have urs still?

trainfever

I had it for a little over a year but about a month ago the controller on my heater malfunctioned and the heater stayed on heating my water to 97.6 degrees. I lost the Copperband, 4 Peppermint shrimps, a cleaner shrimp, a feather duster, yellow polyps and a couple mushrooms. :mad:

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by trainfever
I had it for a little over a year but about a month ago the controller on my heater malfunctioned and the heater stayed on heating my water to 97.6 degrees. I lost the Copperband, 4 Peppermint shrimps, a cleaner shrimp, a feather duster, yellow polyps and a couple mushrooms. :mad:

ooh man im sry, ive had a similar prob, tho nothing died

joojoo

Aw that sucks. When I first started in the fish hobby I bred Platies. I was so excited about my first batch of babies, I set up their own little tank and when I got home from class...splat... they were all boiled to death, poor lil guys.

If you don't already have one then don't get one. My professional reef friend had one that eventually died. Find a substitute, I have a blacklip or kleins butterfly and he eats aiptasia and everything else, he's been doing great and is more colorful than a copperbanded.