Copperband Butterfly Fish in a Reef?

oceanlover

I have an established 90 gallon reef with good water parameters and community fish. The only non-community fish is my yellow tang. He is a good and friendly fish at this point in time.
I would love to have a beautiful Copperband Butterfly fish (Chelmon rostratus) but I know that butterlies tend to pick at corals. In reading up on the Copperband Butterfly, many places say they "usually are reef safe." I interpret this to mean that some are reef safe and some are not. I can't ask my local LFS store as he will tell you anything to make make a sale.
So do any of you have experience with a Copperband Butterfly in your reef tanks? I'd love to hear your experiences with a Copperband Butterfly in your reef
as I am considering adding one to my tank.
My other two questions about the Copperband Butterfly would be:
I only have a 12 gallon quarantine tank (also established). Is that enough room for the Copperband Butterfly while he is in quarantine?
Do you think my yellow tang would turn aggressive with the Copperband Butterfly since they are somewhat simialr in shape?
Thanks so much in advance for your input!

srfisher17

These are gorgeous fish, but difficult to keep. IMO & IME, their main problem in reef tanks is with anemones, feather dusters, etc. Some can pick at coral, but usually aren't too destructive. I wouldn't introduce a CB into a reef unless I was willing to get it out if necessary.A 12 gal QT would work with a smaller CB; they usually do better anyway. CBs (and most picky eaters) will adapt better at a smaller size-they are less likely to have a rigid diet. I doubt that your tang and the CB would be at odds just because of the similar shape. But, one thing a CB needs is a quiet tank, free of bullies. I kept a copperband with a yellow tang for several years; but they were both small when introduced. It sounds like your tang may be a tough guy, some are. If so, I'd forget the CB or trade the tang for a small one. Pristine water, quiet tankmates, and finding the right food will help a copperband thrive.

oceanlover

Srfischer17, thanks for your advice. I do have three anemones in the tank and I (and the clowns) would not like it if they were eatten. Maybe I need to get a new tank established!
Any other people out there who can give me advice on the the Copperhead Butterfly fish?