Copperband Butterfly Reef safe?

joshd123

I have seen them in reef tanks but IDK if they will munch on soft corals, xina, shrooms, SPS, and more!! SWF.com says they are reef safe but not coral safe. Some input from more experanced hobbiest is welcome please!!

coral keeper

Its a 50/50 chance with the Copperband Butterfly fish. Some people bought a Copperband Butterfly fish and it didn't touch a thing, and some people bought a Copperband Butterfly fish and it started eating their corals. So, like I said its a 50/50 chance.

yearofthenick

I have had three copperbands in my experience. None of them have ever touched my corals. I would consider them reef-safe. Although, the reason I had three is because they have a very high mortality rate... a little more picky when it comes to food.

debbie

They are such beautiful fish and I think if you keep them well fed they would not bother with the corals but like mentioned they can be 50/50.

joshd123

I have invested WAY to much money for anything to make a meal out of my corals. I have 2 reason for getting him. 1st, My wife likes them. 2nd I have aptaisa and I just got lots of peppermint shrimp but IDK if they will do the job. I am hoping the butterfly will help me with this problem. So, I guess I am ISO for a copper butterfly that someone has had some good luck with. I have LOTS of food for him =-)

dmyers557

They are hit or miss. I also heard of peppermints eating coral, but same with them. The majority of peppermints are usually fine though.

cjqsmom

My copperbanded has been given the boot out of the reef tank and into the fish only tank. Its is a 50/50 if they will eat the atapisa too. Mine never did but he loved my zoos. I keep him well feed with clam in shell. So they are like anything with a brain they have a mind of their own and rarely listen to the adults. :)

funkysean5

My small copperband in my tank doesn't do that much damaged to my corals at all. He also eats pretty aggressively over mysis.

fats71

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2759876
I have had three copperbands in my experience. None of them have ever touched my corals. I would consider them reef-safe. Although, the reason I had three is because they have a very high mortality rate... a little more picky when it comes to food.
Mine never touches coral. It also has a diet of anything I toss into the tank. Squid, mysis, krill, bah anything.