copperband butterfly vs. raccoon butterfly

rdhanley

which way is better copperband butterfly or raccoon butterfly
i have glass anemone. both by my understanding will eat them.
whats the advantages or disadvantages to both.

dogstar

As far as Aiptasa...
This is a cut and paste from another web site....
Several species of butterfly fishes will eat Aiptasia. Unfortunately, they will also eat other corals, zooanthids, anemones and tube worms. We prefer to use the Raccoon Butterfly, Chaetodon lanula, or the Copperband Butterfly, Chelmon rostratus. Copperbands have a snout that allows them to get to more anemones; however, Raccoons will seldom bother reef inhabitants until all the Aiptasia are gone, making them the fish of choice for most applications.
Butterfly fishes less than 3.5" in length are seldom effective Aiptasia eaters. Once "trained", Raccoons will usually eat anemones off of rocks held in the tank with them. Raccoons used in our facility get used to being moved from tank to tank and will begin feeding immediately after a move. They're very effective!
Butterfly fishes have their limitations. Copperbands are most thorough; however, none of the species are capable of getting all the Aiptasia out of the cracks and crevices. More importantly, all of the Butterflies are likely sufferers of Post-Traumatic Shipping Disorder (PTSD). Only purchase these animals once they've been in a dealers tank for at least six weeks.
As far as the fish.....please research them each and decide more along the lines of if your system is appropriate for the long term survival and health of it.

trainfever

The Copperband is my favorite but it is a very delicate fish. It needs very pristine water parameters. It is also known to nip at polyps and feather dusters The Racoon is more aggressive and can tolerate less than perfect water. Both are good at eating Aipstasia, hopefully the above info will help you in making a decision.

sherms

i have a racoon butterfly and have no prblems with him, although i have no coral so i cant tell you how he bothers them, but does anyone know how a racoon and copperband will do together.

rdhanley

went with the copperband butterfly. as of last night , he was eating frozen foods with very easily. he actually was eating the first night i bought him.

rdhanley

my butterfly copperband is a little pig. this evening , he is as fast as he can. thru out the day, he is pecking at the live rock looking for the pesky nuisant anemone. so far so good.