Copperband Butterfly

blemmy_guy

Looks great Dory!!!!!!!! I love your tank, its lookin better every day!! And Copper Banded are one of my favs. Todd

pitbull01

I was just curious if you could give us a list of all of your tank inhabitants...I am about to set up a 55 gallon reef and I love the Copperband Butterflyfish but what corals do you have that he doesnt eat?:happyfish

blemmy_guy

Dont worry Dory i dont use a QT tank either unless there visibley sick when i get them, or if i buy them from a person, not a lfs or swf.com. todd

mbowker

is this one of the species that says may nip at corals and clam mantles, What is the talk about these, Ive always wanted one in my reef, but thought they were taboo

blemmy_guy

i had one that killed my feather duster, but left my corals alone, but that was with me, not to say it wont happen. Todd

dory36

As for corals I have bubble, xenia, hammer heads, star polyps, candy cane, alvepora, and various mushrooms. I've only had the Copperband for less than 24 hours, but he's left my corals alone except to eat some aiptasia growing on my candy canes. He seems mostly interested in picking at the live rock. As for other inhabitants, I have 7 chromis, 1 maroon clown, a neon gobie, a royal gramma, a cleaner shrimp, and various snails/crabs. No one seemed upset when I put him (the cb) in the tank. My gramma didn't even give his usual growl. He (my rg) threw a big hissy fit when I introduced my chromis. Thanks, Todd. I trust my lfs 100% and know they wouldn't sell me sick fish. :D

reefeel

I don't qt either, but I always pick out the best looking healthy fish and I have mostly hardiers fish anyway. Try to get your copperband to eat asap. I could never get mine to eat and I feed him every frozen food and brine shrimp-live-. Best of luck with him/her.

joker_ca

LUCKY, I LOVE HOW THE COPPERBANDS LOOKS BUT IMO IT WAS ALITTLE PRICEY OUT HERE THEY SELL FOR 30 BUCKS

jacknjill

oh, i love it. they are pretty much my favorite fish. they have a really nice one at the lfs that ive had my eye on for a while. just might have to get him. how big is yours?

dory36

Thanks, guys. :D He's probably 3-4 inches long right now. He's a very hearty eater and ate the first night we got him. I couldn't have asked for a smoother transition. He gets along well with the other fish and is constantly on the move. So far he hasn't touched my corals. Yea, I know, $44 for a fish is a little crazy! :notsure: But, we love our lfs. We know the owner by name and he will spend 20-25 minutes talking to us each time and he's given us awesome advice. I guess it sort of evens out! BTW, we've named our copperband Banana! :)

oceanminded

I would watch him/her close. I think all butterflies have it in them to eat corals. Whether they do or not is a different story. I had a threadfin that ate about 200 bucks worth of corals before I got him out. Good luck!

toddpolish

The Copperband will only pick at clams, aiptasias and feather dusters. I wouldn't worry about anything else.
If a turbo snail is turned over, it may give it one peck, but just to taste, it won't eat the snail.