CopperBand Butterfly

mjhulik

Do you have to have a coral or reef tank set up to have a copperband butterfly? Would it do will in a Fish Only tank and what fish would you not want with the fish.
thanks to all
MJHULIK

angelsrock

unfortunately butterfly's have a bad reputation for not surviving in tanks, but there are some that do survive. if you do chance it make sure it has a well rounded diet. they love clam as well. good luck

mjhulik

Thanks for the reply, I'm just taking it under consideration, I think thats a beautiful fish. But I don't want any live rock or anything like that in my next tank so I wasn't sure what to do for its habitat.
thanks again, and if anyone as any input that would still be great.

tyedyed1

ive had my CB for over a year now and im still working into my reef tank. so yes ....if you get a healthy fish it will be ok in a FO tank. one word of advise, buy a cleaner shrimp at the same time and introduce them into your tank together. there have been times that ive actually seen the shrimp picking small amounts of ick off of him. i havent seen this for a long time now but in the beginning the shrimp saved him more than once from getting sick. the shrimp could be the reason for my success in keeping it healthy.
good luck

nanotanker

NaSoTaNkEr's dad(Mr. Tom) had one for 4 days, it never ate. Take extreme percautions before getting one. do your research.

angelsrock

i agree with the above, cleaner shrimps will help the survival of your butterfly. hopefully if you do buy a cleaner it's not one of those that doesn't clean fish, some of em seem to not be interested in cleaning.

shooter

I Have A Copperband Butterfly In A Fish Only Tank.....i Have A 55 Gal With 3 Green Chromis, A Maroon Clown, A Blue Hippo Tang, And A Coral Beauty Angel......he Was The Last Fish I Put In My Tank.....the Main Thing You Need To Do Is Keep Your Water Clean.....i Do A 10-12 Gal Water Change Every 10 Days.....he Isas Healthy As A Horse.......

joker_ca

I YOU GET A CLEANER SHRIMP BUT ARENT SURE IF IT WILLCLEAN YOUR FISH JUST ASK THE SALESPERSON TO PUT THERE HAND IN THE TANK TO SEE IF THEY CLEAN IT
ONE SHOULD JUMP ONTO HIS HAND AND START CLEANING AWAY :happyfish