coral banded is BACK!!!

otto13

On the 6th of this month I posted that my coral banded kept killing my fish. On the 7th, his claws were removed only leaving his small pinchers. The question left was "how long till they grow back?" Here is the answer.
Doesnt he look smug?
Apparently, he doesnt grow back the big ones, small ones become the big ones and he then grows new small pinchers.

otto13

On another shrimp note. Last night, I was looking at the bedroom tank while I was trying to go to sleep.
All the sudden, part of the tank lit up like a green firefly was in it. I turned on the light and it was one of the ghost shrimp that I caught here locally. It kept lighting up every 5 minutes or so. I thought it was cool. My wife didnt.

snowbear

:confused: ?????????
In your previous post, you posted a picure of disembodied claws and assured us:
The picture speaks for itself. I didnt have to remove them. When I put my hand under a rock to get him, he pinched on really hard and took off in the other direction. The pinchers just popped free. Maybe they do that as a protective method like lizards.
Now you say:
this is before I removed his pinchers 16 days ago.
:confused:
Hopefully he is now living in your sump where he won't get into any more trouble?

otto13

I was trying to catch him to remove his pinchers but I didnt have to cause when he pinched onto me, he discarded his pinchers.
So yes, I was actively trying to, but I guess no, you are correct, I didnt. I feel like Bill Clinton.
"Could you define REMOVE"
he he he

clarkiiboi

So what are you going to do now that the claws are returning? It may come back with more 'tude. LOL. I had a killer one too and gave it back to the LFS and all has been pretty peaceful since. Never Again. Good luck

otto13

i have a refuge built into the tank now. I was planning on putting him in sometime soon and then he just popped up with these new pinchers.
Does anyone know if you can put two to a tank?

fshhub

in either case, wheterher it were accidental or not, YOu had also assured us that you were not going ot do this cruel act.
So, now it seems as though you have let us and him down(BOTH). sorry to hear that. Thanks for taking care ofit in a humane manner, whether it was accident, or not it was the intent. Kinda like loading and aiming then actually touching the trigger on a gun but then it accidentally kills its target. Does that make one guilty or not?
My feelings stand by my previous response to your earlier thread, and I hope there are others who feel teh same.

otto13

The end result of the previous thread was that coral banded shrimp discard their pinchers naturally. It is a trait that these shrimp use as a defense mechanism.
I never assured anyone that I wasnt going to remove his pinchers. Pretty much, once everyone found out that they discard their pinchers when threatened, it kinda became a moot point. However, he does have his pinchers now, they grew back fine and he is going into a refuge. Completely unharmed and happy.
link link link about them dropping their claws
http://saltaquarium.about.com/librar...061798cbsh.htm