coral banded shark

mosley

Hello,
My name is allen. I have a 100 gal. tank. I've had it set up for a year already. I recently purchased a 1 month old coral banded shark. I was told to feed him squid once a day in the evening and some ghost shrimp once a week as a treat.
My question is, do I have a big enough tank for him and do I have his diet right. I forgot to mention that I also have a coral beauty angel and a maroon clown fish with him. If the coral banded shark grows up with the angel and clown will he still see them as food when he gets bigger or will he leave them alone. I want to get a 150 gal. in a year or so for him. Will it be wise to leave him by himself or would my other fish be o.k.?

22caddy

Your tank is way grossly undersized. A 150 is still way too small. The squid you are feeding him, are you soaking it in vitamins at all or anything?

sharkguy1

Its not grossly undersized . If you are talking about a coral cat shark thats a pretty good size. If its a bamboo Id say you need about a 240 plus. I would feed him squid krill silversides . I wouldnt feed him ghost shrimp unless he refuses to eat.

mattiej

I second sharkguy's advice. I would also suggest keeping an eye on the coral beauty. Even though these guys are small they can still pester a shark and especially a young one. At the first sign the angel is picking at the shark remove the angel. It may seem like an extreme action but any open wounds on a captive shark can be a site for a potentially fatal bacterial infection.
Sharks will attempt to eat anything that they can capture and injest, regardless of whether they were raised with them in the tank. It is possible the shark may never bother either fish and it is as possible he will chow down. There is no way to tell except to just keep a close eye on them. Good luck

mosley

I have a Proquatics 2400 canister filter and a Seaclone 100 protein skimmer. I use carbon pellets, volcanic rock, and chemical media in my filter. I also use a hang-on filter that filters up to a 55 gal. tank, it also has volcanic rock and carbon pellets. I fear that it is not going to be enough when the coral banded shark is full grown. Is there anything else you could recommend that could help?

gasguzzler

That is no where near enough. You need a quality wet/dry with a serious flow rate (read >1000 gal/hr). Keep a large canister on there to run a lot of carbon. You also need a quality skimmer.

mosley

Does anybody know of a surplus store that carries wet/dry filters that pumps 1000 gals/hr.? I did not see any on this site.

whitey

Has anyone found a Seaclone skimmer to be anything but cheap?
I bought one years ago for a small salt tank and it did nothing. I've since learned my lessons and have invested the money in a real skimmer.
Anyone had luck with a cheap skimmer?

sharksbait

I use Jebo 180s and seaclone 100s on all my 20 and 30 gallon tanks with great success, but I would not even think about putting one on anything bigger.........

tvan

mosley,
1000 gh is a bit steep, 10X per hour is fine for a reef. Protein Skimmer bigger the better. With sharks more filtration. Your tank size is going to end up stressing your shark(slow death). And coral cats do swim, and need room, and jump! Spend the money now or bury the shark later(simple turth).
Tom

mosley

How often should I feed him? The first two days I had him he ate, but for the last two days he hasn't. He has 30 gill movements per minute and he looks healthy, so I wonder if he eats everyday or a few times a week. Also are the vitamins selcon, zoe, zoecon a product you buy from a pet supply store or at a health store?