Coral Banded Shrimp Mean?

maryd

I recently added a coral banded shrimp and a few days later I got a blood shrimp. This morning the body (not a molting) of the blood shrimp was behind a rock with the coral banded shrimp standing right above it.
Is is common for a coral banded to be mean and kill others? I have 2 peppermints in there that I don't want killed. If this is a mean one, I plan to catch him and put him in the prison tank with my other meanies.

emperor11

Many are quite aggressive. The only CBS I recommend with other shrimps is the Gold Coral Banded Shrimp due to its small size.

K

kalied20

I got a CBS in my 24 gallon Nano. He is the only shrimp I keep in there because he is mean. He doesn't get along with anything. He sometimes snaps at the clowns and gramma. I have read that they do not get a long with each other unless paired for mating. I think that it would have to be a very large tank to keep more than one shrimp with a CBS. I know that I dare not put any other shrimp in my nano. I have noticed that if a hermit goes into the CBS home spot he will kill it. Found a couple dead now they don't go there.

fishieness

i added a pepermint shrimp to my 40 reef thinking that there would be pleanty of hiding places. I have 90 pounds of live rock, and all small peices, so they are all holes that the pep woudl be able to get into but not the CBS. and the peps are also much faster. so i would watch at night, see the cbs stalk him, but the pep woudl always dart away..... Then at one point... i noticed..... hye..... i havent seen my pep like all week? and i never did. im only assuming it was the CBS seeing how the only other things i had in there except for corals were two fase percs. the only coral capibale of eating it was the open brain, but i still think it is the CBS.

viper_930

I have a gold CBS and I've never seen it hurt anything. Gold and blue CBS are both dwarves and don't grow as big as the usual CBS.

eyebedam

My CBS is mean it tries to pinch me & has before. Everytime I put my hand in the tank. Hes always messing with my fire shrimp also. Im trading him tomorrow to a friend of mine for 12 purple shrooms.

jdykstra

I just traded in a four year old CBS because he was a meanie. Very territorial and aggressive. I am certain that he killed many snails and hermit crabs as well as grabbing at my clown fish. As an example of his meanness, my spotted hawk would not even mess with him.

miamireefr

My CBS is mean but I kinda like it considering he is the ONLY aggressive creature in the tank and besides 1 time seeing him stab at my bubble coral he adn my cleaner shrimp coexist in my 46g. Whenever my cleaner sees him close he just swims away from him to the opposite end...Both are fairly big.. And as far as hermits go he is more then welcome to kill mine...they took out my queen conches..
Nick

maryd

False alarm. The blood shrimp molted. It looked like the body was still in the molthing though.
I will try to catch the CBS and put him in the prison tank though. Funny that the LFS didn't inform me that this shrimp could be mean!!!!

cmiles

I have a cbs in a 55 with 5 cleaner shrimp bu they know to stay away from him. When I added a baby clarki to the tank, I could watch him at night and he would try his best to catch that baby clown. Now the clown hosts an anemone and has grown to be quite aggresive himself. But I have noticed that I cant keep small fish like clown gobies, I have caught him eating them before.

pyro

My CBS is a jerk as well; love him anyways. Tons of personality.
I thought the same thing as fishieness about putting a peppermint in. Have a 30g with 45lbs of LR and tons of hiding places. Watched them run around and play tag for a couple nights... then it stopped. He snaps at all my fish when they come by. Also comes up to eat krill outta my hand, but if I dont' have krill he pinches me so I swat/shoe him away whenever I'm in the tank =P.
Overall; adds a lot of diversity to the reef though, i like him a lot.

petjunkie

Yeah, a lot of cbs are aggressive. I have one with a cleaner shrimp in a 33long. He does try to catch the cleaner if he gets too close but the cleaner just swims away. My clownfish fights with him though, goes over to the shrimp's cave and starts whacking him with his fins all the time. Pretty funny. Honestly I think he eats some hermits but I've caught my cleaners ripping hermits right out of their shell and eating them and never seen him do it. Just depends on the shrimp I guess.

whackamole

my cbs only has 1 claw his not to aggressive but i only have 2 small shrimps in there (plus fish) but he dosnt seem to be 2 mean

nattybug33

I have a CBS and he is the meanest thing in my 55 FOWLR, he killed my 4 wheel gobie, 2 firefish, and royal gramma over the course of 6 months. He's horriable. I tried everything to get him to quit. GOOD LUCK.

fishieness

as for joey and nauty, are you people sure that the shrimp killed them? and wasnt jsut doing his job of cleaning? They are capible of killing fish, but it would be cery hard for them to get a hold of one.

nattybug33

fishiness, I'm 98% certain he killed them, my CBS is huge, he's molted 5 times. He pulled my firefish out of their burrow at different times). My 4 wheel gobie made a burrow also, so you know what happened. and the royal gramma I'm not completely sure but I'm almost +.