Coral Banded Shrimp question

kellig

Can/will coral banded shrimp co-habitate with other shrimp or is that a no-no??
I really like shrimp in my tank, and I have a pair of camel backs right now, and I know they will get along with others, but not sure about the cbs.
Do they play well with others??

socal57che

Originally Posted by KelliG
http:///forum/post/2781779
Do they play well with others??

Generally, the answer is no. They are often aggressive toward other shrimp, fish and crabs.
I see in your profile that you have a 55g tank. IMO, that's not enough room. YMMV.

kellig

Thanks!!! I'll just stick with a cleaner shrimp then to add to my eclectic mix!! I just had a mated pair of cbs when I lived in hawaii under my dock, and they were little 'wild' pets of mine along with a snowflake moray and a green moray that I fed squid too.....got hooked from there on saltwater!
I still kick myself for not getting a bigger tank!!!!
Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2781840
Generally, the answer is no. They are often aggressive toward other shrimp, fish and crabs.
I see in your profile that you have a 55g tank. IMO, that's not enough room. YMMV.

jeanheckle

I have a 46 gallon tank with a mated pair of CBS, I also have peppermint shrimp, various snails and fish and corals. Everyone is doing well together and have been for a while now.

kellig

Well, Alrighty then!!
I guess I just may get one and try it. I mean, I know that a tank is different than the ocean, but everyone co-habitates the reefs out there, so I guess it just depends on the shrimp.....
I want one so I can take care of any bristle worms that may be present.
(I saw one but couldnt get it!
)
Thanks for everyones input!

dlee

I purchased a CBS a year ago and in the first night he killed both of my cleaner shrimp.
aggressiveness must be different by individual specimin.....

U

usirchchris

I have a CBS in with a cleaner and 5 or 6 peppermints, snails, crabs, and they all get along fine. If you want to rid of bristleworms get an arrow crab, but IMO bristleworms are great. I would buy them if I could, they make for a wonderful cleaning crew. I have a 125 that has a bristle that has to be at least 1' long, and is every bit as thick as my index finger, and I used to have tons more, but my arrow has decimated the population.

kellig

Yep, thats him!! So far I only saw the one, but if they are good, then he can stay.
Ang I get my cbs just because I like them!

kjohansen

I have at least 30 - 50 bristleworms in my 24 Aquapod. They multiply like crazy. I trap them once in awhile to keep them down.

kellig

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone---I now have a cleaner shrimp, a coral banded, and 2 camelbacks all happily getting along in my tank!!
My coral banded is just a small one--poor guy he was with some other very large ones and I think he steered clear of them...they were monsters!
So I had to bring him home to his new house!