coral banded shrimp

R

reefdivers

What do coral banded shrimp eat? I've had mine for about 5 days now and seen him move around the rocks (probably looking for food), but I haven't seen him eat anything. I'm concerned about throwing some silversides I have for my anemone in there for him thinking if he doesn't find it, then it may pollute my tank and raise my levels up. Any thoughts from coral banded shrimp owners on what yours eat. Thanks. Steve

shogun323

They are scavengers. They will eat pretty much whatever they get their hands on. I wouldnt worry about him.

nick76

Originally Posted by Reefdivers
What do coral banded shrimp eat? I've had mine for about 5 days now and seen him move around the rocks (probably looking for food), but I haven't seen him eat anything. I'm concerned about throwing some silversides I have for my anemone in there for him thinking if he doesn't find it, then it may pollute my tank and raise my levels up. Any thoughts from coral banded shrimp owners on what yours eat. Thanks. Steve
What kind of food do u put in your tank? U could probably hand feed it with some caution and training. I handfeed my cleaner, but idk if CBS would do the same.

E

emeralcrab

Mine eats everything that I feed my fish, shrimp, krill what ever. He heads for the food when it is put in, I have to keep him away from my bubble coral and sebae anemone because he will steal it away. Put it in, he will find it. He was shy at first, now he is not.

chuckm1961

Mine eats anything and everything (and he'll steal) .... I have to feed him first before I can feed my BTA, red serpent star, ...

Y

yote

Mine ate anything he got his lil claws on , including my yellow polyps and xenia

debbie

I have had mine for just over a week and I notice he will grab any frozen foods I feed, flakes, I also drop in the odd shrimp pellet near him and he is very quick to grab that too. So I think if he is all over your rock then he is picking out stuff from the small crevices and eating just fine. They are such neat shrimp and gosh I love those long white whiskers too.....

bsd230

They scavange for food but I often will target feed mine with a pair of tongs. I give him a shrimp pellet at night. I just drop it next to him and thats it.

R

reefdivers

Thanks everyone for sharing...I dropped a shrimp pellet next to him and he quickly grabbed it and headed for the nearest hole to enjoy his treat.

acrylic51

My favorite shrimp
I love watching my Tangs annoy him at feeding time...After all these years he's never caught one though....