coral banded shrimp

*rais*

i have a coral banded shrimp in my tank with a tomato clown, yellow watchman goby, featherduster, turbo snails, margarita snails, nassarius snails, a few small hermits, pink tip haitian anemome and hes not agressive twards anything in my tank. but it might also have to depend on its personality.

mjweber

My coral banded recently went berserk and killed and ATE my strawberry pseudochromis AND 2 small blue legged Hermit crabs. Somewhere I got a post with pictures showing this. He also actively stalks my clown fish "which is pretty funny cause the clown is like 5 times his size" and steals brine shrimp from my hammer and bubble coral when I feed them, . Overall I'd say they are way more aggressive than people think they are.

mantisman51

+1 on the killer coral banded. Mine is HUGE, 6" nose to tail. He killed my scooter blenny and routinely stalks my 3" false perc and mower blenny. He has tried (caught him in the act) to pull my scarlet and blue hermits out of the shell. I am probably going to trade him in at the LFS when they get settled into their new store. Anything, even my 7" lined pffer, are harrassed when they go near his perch. Nasty little fella.

coraljunkie

Are any of you guys feeding your CB? I have one and he has never shown any signs of aggression towards anything in my tank. I have a Fire and Peppermint shrimp as well. I usually drop in some dried shrimp pellets and he loves them.

mantisman51

Yes. I feed San Francisco Bay complete marine nutrition frozen. I hand chop fresh mussel and squid. And I feed marine flakes. He is very well fed. He/she is just a ba$tard.

mr_x

no offense guys, but i think you are mistaken about the cb killing your fish. you just caught him eating the carcass. something else killed them.
i've had cb's for a long time, with very small fish, and the only thing that was ever harmed was an arrow crab. i can't be sure of this because i didn't see him get killed, but i surmised it from the gossip about them.
i've also had the cb with plenty of cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, and peppermint shrimp. nothing was harmed.

mantisman51

No. No mistake. After acclimating the scooter, along with a yellow tang, I placed the scooter in the tank and the shrimp grabbed him with his claws and pulled him to his mouth by the time I whacked him with the net. Second time (a week later) I saw the scooter pass by the rock when I was feeding, the shrimp lunged and got the scooter in both claws and even with the scooter thrashing had him up to his mouth and starting to munch, until I whacked it with the net again. No mistake, the scooter after another 2 weeks was laying dead with large gash just behing the eyes on top of his head. Right, exactly where the shrimp was trying start the meal the previous two times.

jmj6239

Ive had a few Coral bandeds none have ever shown agression, I hand feed mine, it also lives within inches of my cleaner shrimp. If I remember my reading arent CBS cleaners as well? just not as common in them! I think I may have witnessed this a couple of times after lights out.

b-diddles

I have a CBS that I have had for about 3 weeks now and he is similar to what I am hearing. I originally bought him because I heard that they like to eat Bristle worms. From what I read they can be slightly aggressive. Although the Saltwaterfish.com description of them says that they are passive and "will not harm other inverts or fish" My CBS is the Termonator, he never stops stalking my Damsel and Clownfish night or day. He darts out at them with his claws just about every 30 minutes. He jumped out and clipped my Tomato Clown yesterday then my Clownfish goes right back to the rock he likes. They like to stay by each other when they have about another 80% of the tank to roam with more rock. I think I am regreting bying him though. I was just about to start a forum about how to supress the aggression of the CBS, maybe there is a food I can feed him so that he will be content. In fact I will start one anyway it sounds like a lot of people are having this problem.

*rais*

my tomato clown and cbs live in the same cave structure but every once ina while the clown will swim by the cbs and it will seem like the shrimp wants to get him but he never does anything.
but if anyone does regret buying theirs at least it was a really cheap shrimp, i wish i had bought a scarlet cleaner instead they have way more personality and they dont hide as much, i think im prolly gonna trade my cb in for a scarlet

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by *Rais*
http:///forum/post/2729214
my tomato clown and cbs live in the same cave structure but every once ina while the clown will swim by the cbs and it will seem like the shrimp wants to get him but he never does anything.
but if anyone does regret buying theirs at least it was a really cheap shrimp, i wish i had bought a scarlet cleaner instead they have way more personality and they dont hide as much, i think im prolly gonna trade my cb in for a scarlet
My CBS also shares a cave with my clown. My cave however is a 4 bedroom apartment. My CBS will protect the enterance to the cave and makes a weak attempt to grab my fish.
Keep the CBS well fed and you shouldn't have any problems.
As stated by Mr. X, I don't believe that this invert kills fish unless the fish is weak and sick. My clown actually taunts my CBS but once again I keep my CBS well fed.