Coral Banded Shrimp

adrian

I would venture to say no, eventually the will find each other and one will kill the other, why not just get a pair?

reefnut

Ok, here is the rest of the story...
I just got back from the LFS and they had two CBS in the same tank. (about a 40g) They told me they were a mated pair but I'm not sure if that's true. Both were very small and were not hanging out together. In fact they were on deferent rocks on opposite sides of the tank.
Honestly I don't know how to tell a mated pair but it just didn't seem right. Any ideas?

reefnut

Well from what I could find there are two ways to tell a male from female. The size and a female has an egg pouch. Does anyone know how to tell when they are still small?

fshhub

is there really such a thing as a mated pair of CBS's??
Not sure about the CBS, but if they are like most other shrimp, they are amaphrodites.
even if they are sexual, then I am pretty sure that there is nothing such as a mated pair, maybe a pair which has successfully mated, but not a mated pair.
LIKE I SAID, not 100% sure, but believe.

fshhub

my experience and observation on CBS is that unless you have a large tank, they will probabl y wind up being the only ONE shrimp in there, in due time.
Now, on to the big question, how big is large. I have no idea, but IMO I would say something with several ft between them. not 3 or 4 but several.
And that may be pushing it, since there is no guarentee where each one will set up shop at and claim home.
A 125?? I would not want to try and say either way, personally. Becase if I did, that lil

[hr]
will certainly prove me wrong. So, personally I would NOT risk it.
HTH(somewhat)

adrian

There is definitely such a thing as a mated pair of CBS, but I think your right when you say they are hermaphoditic, I think they start as males and then one will turn female, although I think they have to be small for it to work, two mature males will definitely go at it. A shop I used to work at had a mated pair in a 40 gallon for almost a year before we sold them, so its possible. HTH

fshhub

only reason why i was curious is that most shrimp cary both organs and will reproduce regardless. even without mating.
again, not sure about the cbs

reefnut

Thanks for the info guys. I was reading on a guys web site that has a 240g tank and he said that they fought so my 125 most likly would not be large enough.
Now, if they indeed do change --- then these two may work, as long as they didn't kill each other before that happened?

twhfan

OK, so last night we put a second CBS in my 125. My question is if they were going to fight, how long would it take? Would they go right at it? Here is a pic of the two of them hanging out together! They started out in an agressive pose, put just kind of checked each other out. Now they turn their back on one another and sit together. Just wondering if I need to fish the little bugger back out (btw - I only got the 2nd one as part of a tank buyout from someone else - I wouldn't have tried otherwise and keep a close eye on them).