Coral Beauty

danny-b

I was at my LFS and saw a fish, that the guy called a "coral Beauty"
Can anyone give me some info on this fish,
scientific name, likes, dislikes, how hardy, ect.
I really liked the fish but I would like to read up on it before I bought it.
(my LFS was clueless as always :mad: )
Thank-you

grouperhead

do a search on them. you will find tons. the coral beauty's scientific name is centropyge bispinosus. they are one of, if not the most popular pygmy angel. they will feed on prime reef, formulas 1 and 2, brine shrimp, brine shrimp plus, seaweed selects (some will some wont), and graze off of your liverock. they are a great angel. they are also pretty hardy. hth, bo

twoods71

The above post sounds good to me.
They grow to a max of around 4"
I have one in a small FO tank with a percula and they get along great.
Nice looking fish.

trigguhmastuh

The coral beauty, is a dwaf angelfish that gets aboput 4 or 5 in. I'm not sure what is it's scientific name, It doesn't need a big tank for it because of it's size. To keep this fish you must have non aggressive fish about the same size, smaller or a little bigger, just make sure it's tank mates are non- aggressive. I've heard great things about these fish, so I guess they are pretty hardy.

nm reef

Personally I'd not add one to a a tank that is less than 6 months mature.....they like to grass around the lr......mine eats most anything fed the tank(mysis..brine..fresh sea food...assorted flakes..seaweed selects..frozen formulas 1&2)...also likes to browse on algae growing in the tank and off the lr...gr8 addition to a maturing system with plenty of lr....make sure its eating before buying and personally I'd quarintine it before adding........kewl fish one of my favorites

frenchman

I love my Coral Beauty. Everything written above is true and valid. It is a quiet and nice looking fish, peaceful, very hardy (for an angel) and can eat almost anything. He does not pick on corals but swims around and gets along well with other fishes. My mimic tang was first upset when I put the Coral beauty in the tank and tried to "flash" at him but the Coral Beauty never cared and did not even paid attention. Great fish and good start into the world of angelfishes. ;)

webnstuff

I can tell you that I have had a coral beauty for over 4 years now, this was in a 55 gal reef, survived lots of "learning experiences" and looks great. 8 months ago I moved into a new home, my lfs has kept this fish in a "rock table" in the store. Many people seem to want to buy this fish because her colors are more brilliant than most.
I have recently setup a 75 reef, and as soon as this tank is stable she will gladly come back home!

freckles

i have had a rock beauty for 4 months. great fish! friendly not shy. loves to eat anything..gets along with all my other inverts. fish and corals. they do need greens..i put a clip on the inside and buy the dried greens. or i partly cook spinach/brocoli.loves it. very active swims all over and inbetween rocks. great choice very hardy... :D

wpb, fl

My coral beauty is my favorite fish. He (?) is peaceful and beautiful. He eats everything the other fish do and constantly nips at the rock and glass, cleaning the algae. I added a Christmas tree worm which he tormented intially, but now seems over that and the Christmas tree worm is doing fine. I did, however, have to get rid of a newly added, beautiful coco worm because he wasn't coming out because of the coral beauty's nipping. The coral beauty also occasionally nips at the 2 feather dusters.