Coral Beauty

puffercat

Question
I’ve just recently purchase a Coral Beauty and the critter hasn’t eaten for a few days already. The Coral Beauty is hiding around the live rocks…..I’ve been feeding the him brine shrimp flakes….and I have yet to seem him eat it…..What should I feed him or should I just leave it alone until he does feed???

azzala

Coral Beauty is a herbivore. Try feeding frozen veggies from your lfs. Mine didn’t eat the food I put in for several days but she did eat the algae growing on the tank glass. They will also nibble on lettuce, so you can clip some of that in the tank.

gobylover

Try some seaweed,frozen brine,Omega 1 has some flake food for angels and tangs,there are frozen cubes called emerald entree.Also,if its a new fish,it might take it a few days to get used to its new home.Is there ant signs of disease?Just try to offer a variety and see how it goes.Any other tankmates??hth

puffercat

Yeah it's been in the tank since Monday.....there is a few damels tankmate...and a clean up crew...I've seen his little tummy shrinking everyday, so i am kinda of worried for the critter....Question would the Angelfish eat the Coarse green grass on my live rock??

jimi

Try brine shrimp or OSI spirulina flake. Did you see him eat before you bought him?

jacrmill

frozen brine will get a fish to eat alot of times. he might be eating off your LR, but if you see his belly shrinking then he is apparently not getting enough. it does take time for some fish to adjust to their new home, unfortuanatly some never do. as stated, did you see the fish eat before you bought him? if so what were they feeding him, if not you shouldnt have bought him. also i wouldnt feed lettuce. it doesnt have much nutritional value for humans, so it doesnt have much for fish either. ive also read somewhere, cant remember where, that it is terrible on a fishes digestive track.

azzala

I had not heard lettuce was bad for their systems. Good to know. I would suggest clipping something in the tank though. Use seaweed. He might be more willing to eat if he isn’t worrying about hiding from you. Mine hides from me too. It took a week before he would come out when I was near the tank.

frenchman

I feed mine Formula One. He seems to love also pigmyangel formula. Hope yours eat fast. Ask you lfr what they were feeding him. Did you see him eating in the store? :)

aquarius

Yeah my Coral Beauty was in the tank for almost a week b4 he came around and began devouring seaweeds selects. Nowadays he eats like a pig! Good Luck!

puffercat

Ahhh!!! he's dead..... :mad: Came home today and saw him floating on his side.....Great!!!....My water parameters was perfect for the fish......I should of tested the fish before i purchased him....

puffercat

Oh forgot to add....I went back to the lfs furious telling them how come you gave me a sick fish!!!!!!……Well after many blah blah blah….he finally compromise and sold me a Bi color angel for 10 bucks!!! Even though I felt bad for the Coral Beauty……MAy you rest in peace……..*MOMENT OF SILENCE*

Puffercat if you keep those damsels your bi-color will probably meet the same fate. They are just mean and the older they get the meaner they get and will pick on all newly intrduced fish and stressed fish = dead fish.
Good luck......

jimi

Did you see the bi-color eat? They can be a difficult angel to keep.Did your lfs tell you that?

puffercat

Hey Jimi,
Yeah I saw him grubbing some of the particles on the sand bed at the LFS. So I took him….He has some really nice color….I’ve taken the advice to remove the damsels lastnight…..It was a long and hard fight getting them….Had to take out over 90 pds of live rock to get to them..
Puffercat