Coral Beauty

obx fish

We've had our Coral Beauty since Tuesday. The only thing we have seen her eat is by picking stuff off the rocks and back glass and some off the sand bed. We feed Prime Reef frozen food
(2x/day) and flake food for a snack once a day. We are planning on getting a higher algae formula food for angels. But should we be extrememly worried about her/him? I know that they don't reccomend having two dwarf angels in a tank but so far they act like best buddies...they graze side by side and even hang out in the same cave...we keep a close eye on them.
Thanks!

M

molly

My Coral Beauty did not eat more than a speck for the first three days and I set out in search of special Angel food. My LFS owner got me to calm down a bit and sure enough in the next few days she started eating more and more.
Give it a week, as long as she is picking, she will most likely eat eventually. I found that garlic soaked food is a real turn on for fish and mine also like to eat nori (seaweed) that has been soaked a bit.
Molly

obx fish

Thanks Molly...I feel better now that you said your's did the same thing. I'll try and get the Nori for mine too. :)

obx fish

when ya'll talk about garlic soaked...is there a special garlic for fish or are you talking like the garlic in juice form at the grocery store?

fishfreek

I use Kyolc garlic juice from GNC health food stores. You could use the stuff from the grocery store but that leaves an oil slick in your H2O. Don't know if it really hurts anything though. I still suggest the kyolic, it really works well on light infestations and will also boost the fishes immune system. :D HTH

B

b.b.bigbrother

Try frozen brine shrimp mine loved it i tride to feed different things but fish love brine.

reefman316

I've read on this fish and its one I plan on buying in the future and they will pick at the rocks because they get some of their diet from things that growq on the rock itself.Also try some lettuce before putting it in the tank break it up a little by smashing it in your hand and then put it in the microwave for a few seconds to break down the membranes so the fish can digest it easier.Good luck.

lnarobbins

does a bi-color angle and flame angle need the same diet requirements as the coral beauty
I have all three and would like to know
thanx
Alan

grayne

I have had my Coral Beauty for about 3 months now and have never had any real problems with it feeding. I quickly realized though that it was probably the most efficient rock and glass cleaner in the entire tank as all it does all day is graze on glass and rock algae leaving nothing behind! As for a nice treat mine absolutely loves seaweed salad.

M

molly

OBX Fish
I got the garlic from a LFS, I think it might be Kent. It is a bit pricey (15 bucks for 12 ounces) but it helped my Coral Beauty fight a slight Ick outbreak (I am positive of this) and the liquid is easy to use. I thaw their frozen food, tear up Nori into tiny shreds and put in some garlic and Selcon and then freeze it and feed them that.
The first time I used the garlic flavored food the fish went nuts. I looked on the garlic bottle and sure enough it was recommended to help picky eaters start eating.
HTH
Molly

zari

Hi...
Be careful how much you are feeding. You will have a nitrate spike and algae. Feeding 3 times a day is too much. I feed mine once a day.
Zari

accurate

i have a coral beauty and have had it for about 4 mos. It was fine for a while and now it's picking at my brain. The brain won't open up and throughout the day it goes by and picks at it.
Is there any suggestions????;Thanks