Coral Beauty

blender

I got a coral beauty a couple of days ago and he doesn't seem to be eating the algea i put in the tank. The algea from the clip was eaten last night but i suspect my snails ate it. is there a way to keep the snails off? The coral beauty does eats brine shrimp and will accept a flake here and there. I see him picking at my fake plants and i assume he hungry for greens. there is some brown algea on my fake plants. I can't seem to get any green growing in there but that is another story. My question is will he start to eat the algea i give him? If not will he be ok?

herbud

i also have a coral beauty and have seen that he eats a special type of green algae flakes specifically made for tangs and angels. i can't remember the name off-hand, but it's a common brand and has a green cap. mine also seems to eat some brown algae off of the glass and live rock. if you really want to know the name of that flake, just post another response.

drewster

Have you seen the Formula 1 frozen cubes before? Well, they make a Angel Formula version and i have that for my Coral Beauty and he eats it up like its candy. He also likes the Formula 1 cubes. They are pretty cheap and last awhile. They probably sell it at your LFS in a freezer somewhere. Good luck.

clownfish

What's the difference between Formula One flake food and frozen Formula One?? I plan to have a coral beauty in my future 55 gallon tank. Should I also feed the dried algae sheets? What all should I feed him?

drewster

Like i told the other guy, get the Angel Formula frozen stuff. It is specifically made for guys like Coral Beauty's and its relatively cheap. I've seen many posts from other people about the Formula 1 and similiar frozen foods and they all recommend it.
Drew

kmr

A varied diet is best. One thing about the frozen F1, it has a gel binder that can make a film on top of the water. Too much F1 frozen and your skimmer can fail (overflow). A cube 3x a week, flakes and greens 2-3x a week, and brine treats 1-2x a week will work fine. If you feel bad when he begs you can give him more greens. Aqua Yums makes a fish "gumball" that doesn't have gel binders.