Coral Catfish?

yacobito

Anyone ever heard of a coral catfish? They are black and white with a stripes. My LFS (Petland) had a ton of them and they were selling them for $8 a piece? I don't want one for myself (already at my fish limit), but had never heard of it before. I asked the guy who works there, but as usual he had no clue (he also called a blood shrimp a crayfish). Just curious.

mrmike

I had some about 25 years ago. I was new to the hobby, saw them in a store and thought they were cool. They school in groups. I bought six. They looked great in my tank but in less than 3 weeks all were dead. They weren't cheap either. I have since heard that they are hard to keep. They also need to be in groups so they can school.

ophiura

Well, they are venemous for one. Should be kept in groups. They get large, and will happily (like most catfish) eat lots of things. When larger, remarkably few LFS will be eager to take them back.

yacobito

Wow venomous, that's crazy. I hope someone there knows a little something about them. I did a Google search and also saw that they grow up to a foot in length. Do these kinds of stores know what they are ordering or do they just get something like a variety pack from their suppliers and are told how much each one costs?

xdave

Originally Posted by rbrockm1
i didn't know they are venomous
Yep, combined with the fact that they always get stuck in the net, they are a pain if you work at a store or wholesaler.
Heres a fun way to teach the lfs guy to take time to learn about what he's selling: Ask for 3 or 4 of them. They will get stuck in his net. When he tries to unstick them he'll get stung. Then you say "I don't want them if they sting, it's irresponsible to sell venomous animals without telling people. Is there anybody here that at least knows what they're selling?" Of course it's also irresponsible to purposely get somebody stung, if they have allergies they could die. DO NOT REALLY DO THIS!!!