Coral Compatibility

mikeny

I have a pretty decent sized Colt coral and a bunch of Yuma Mushrooms growing fairly quickly closeby in my tank. Recently they came into contact with each other and it seems that the Colt is burning the mushrooms. Wherever they meet, the mushrooms are bleached white. I had no idea Colts were so aggressive!

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a list somewhere or a link to a site that offered suggestions on coral placement in relation to each other. The only tidbit I'm aware of is that you can place Euphyillas next to each other.

snakeblitz33

I use published books more often then I do information from the internet. Call me old school.

Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek wrote three very good reference books called The Reef Aquarium, volumes 1, 2, 3.

Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry and Natural History is also a good reference book, written by Eric Borneman.

You can read as much reference books as you want, and study and learn from books as much as you want and you will be pretty successful with coral placements, growth, and coloration, but nothing will replace experience... if you are unsure of coral placement or requirements, after researching it through books and internet resources,... it still doesn't hurt to ask someone who can tell you from first hand experience.

Now, as a general reference...

Most soft corals use toxins as a chief defense... use plenty of carbon and change it out monthly to help alleviate low levels of toxins in the water between water changes. They require light levels from low to medium and plenty to eat in the water column.

Most LPS corals have stinging nematocysts with sweeping tentacles... and should be placed a fair amount away from other coral colonies. They prefer medium to high lighting conditions and prefer lots of food in the water column as well as direct feedings.

Most SPS corals attempt to outgrow and shade each other. They require excellent water quality conditions and at the same time they need plenty to eat and require the highest lighting conditions.

Coral compatibility is complex, and when it comes down to it, you might just have to observe your corals and make changes as necessary. Eventually things will grow in and continue to bump into one another...

Now, I say most because there are of course exceptions to the rule.

flower

All corals burn each other if they touch, trim back the corals or move them further apart. No corals should ever actually touch each other...once separated they SHOULD recover on their own, running carbon will also help to remove the toxins corals use for chemical warfare.

mikeny

I've seen some heavily stocked tanks on You Tube and I don't see how it's possible to keep them all isolated? Are they just pruning (for lack of a better word) the corals and throwing the pieces out as they grow? I've been pulling out pieces of my Colt every week. I'm finding bits of them propping all over the tank. They're almost like a weed.

Take Yumas for example, they move around the tank a lot. Other than placing them on a rock and putting it on the sand bed, what other options do I have? When I first got them, I had no idea they propagate so quickly. I didn't even know they moved around. I went from 2 frags to about a dozen in about 6-8 months. Some of them look like they're about 4-5 inches across now.

Sorry for the noob questions, this is my first reef tank so I've never ran into this problem before.

snakeblitz33

Many people frag their corals and sell them back to a live fish store for store credit. I would say your in a pretty good spot. Most yumas in my area sell for $14.99 each and I could resale them to a store for $5-6 each.
Fragging helps fuel the addiction. :)