Coral dips...

rs1831

What do people dip their corals in when they first buy them to rid them of unwanted worms and nudi's? Do they do it with all corals including sps?
Thanks,
Roland

T

tizzo

For me, differnt corals get different dips.
Zoas- freshwater dip.
SPS's get flatworm exit and interceptor
LPS's all get flatworm exit.
And iodine if any of them look unhealthy.

rs1831

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2658979
For me, differnt corals get different dips.
Zoas- freshwater dip.
SPS's get flatworm exit and interceptor
LPS's all get flatworm exit.
And iodine if any of them look unhealthy.
Thanks for your reply. Is there a method to the freshwater dip or do you just dip it into rodi water for a few seconds?
Thanks,
Roland

stanlalee

never dipped anything and never introduced anything unwanted in the tank. Visual inspection and good luck.

T

tizzo

I don't do zoas, but a friend of mine, who has literally done hundreds, instructs as such...
RO or tap.
put zoas in for about 4 minutes total
shake vigorously every minute.
I personally have never seen any coral except softies, freshwater dipped.

davmul

I asked a simmilar question a few weeks ago and several posters chimed to recommend a lugols solution (iodine) or Seachem reef dip.

florida joe

If you want to save a few dollars got to you local drug store and buy Povidone-Iodine solution 10 %
I add enough of it to the water I am dipping my corals in to get a color that resembles strong tea and dip for 3 to 5 min

flower

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2724498
If you want to save a few dollars got to you local drug store and buy Povidone-Iodine solution 10 %
I add enough of it to the water I am dipping my corals in to get a color that resembles strong tea and dip for 3 to 5 min
Strong tea to me looks almost black, is that too strong? I need to ask, will this take care of all bad things if I dip my corals? Because I would like to use one product, it makes my life easier.
flatworms, nudibranches, gorilla crabs!! Oh my.

john57

The guy at the lfs recommended an iodine dip on my zoas and rics. He also said that some things won't be killed but it stuns them enough so that a shwish in water will knock most things off.

stanlalee

well this is back up I have since began dipping new corals with lugols solution at the recommendation of the LFS who said they dip and quarantine all their corals but I should do it to be safe.