coral feeding ?

derekc

[hr]
what do i feed these corals? zoos,palys, tubs do they filter feed or can put a drop of KENT super concentrated phytoplankton suspension for filter feeding? or is there something else??????

scopus tang

Corals are more of a predator than a filter feeder; although they capture and eat phytoplankton typically - some larger species will eat whole shrimp! There is a ton of different foods out there, it usually a matter of whats available and what you prefer. I've used DT phytoplankton, Frozen oyster eggs, frozen brine shrimp, powered phytoplankton and powered zooplankton and frozen krill. Enjoy watching them eat.

derekc

do u mix all that together and squirt it on them, or what do you do..im new to this..lol..i have time tho they havent opened yet just got them today...i just wanna be ready!

scopus tang

Different people do different things; I have a friend who feeds in stages, he starts with frozen oyster eggs (use a syring or delivery system to squirt them across the open polyps of the animal), then does either suspended powers, or other frozen foods like frozen phytoplankton cubes, and then finally frozen brine shrimp. Just be very careful - the more "food" you put into the tank, the more likely it is that leftovers will pollute the water causing spikes in ammonia, nitrites and nitrates which can be toxic to both corals and fish. Generally its recommended that you "feed" corals sparingly as most are photosynthetic and do just fine without every being feed.

yosemite sam

You don't need to feed zoas and palys. Larger palys can catch small food particles like cyclopeze, but again, you don't need to do this. They will grow and spread just fine when provided with proper lighting.