Coral growth rate?

I am buying some frags of favites off of swf's website. How fast will they grow? They are only 1/2 inch and thats kinda small.

meowzer

I have bought quite a few of the frags from swf.....and every one is different....a lot depends on your tank too

ALSO....at time they have been bigger then advertised

bulldog123

What is it you are buying? If your open to options someone could probably help you pick something that grows faster. A good rule of thumb is the uglier or browner the coral the faster it grows.

gemmy

I think every bit of coral I've received from SWF has been larger than advertised.

meowzer

Have you seen the video of my 225G? The gsp was a frag from here.....so was the frogspawn, and the neon eye brain .....that covers a large spot on my rock

Also the pink zoas, and the trumpets, and the candycane.....

btldreef

Favia's don't grow that quickly from my experience.

If you're looking for frags that will grow quickly (especially if you feed them):
Ducans
Blastomussa wellsi
Acans
Zoanthids
Paly's (Button Polyps)
really any polyps actually
mushrooms (you can cut these in half and end up with two)
leather corals

bulldog123

Thank god I never put gsp in either of my tanks. I screwed up and put anthelia and xenia and now have to pick it out with tweezers every month
I have a rock about twice the size of a softball with pom pom and blue/purple xenia on it that Im trying to get rid of before it spreads more.

geoj

I have Ric's I never feed them I guess am too lazy.
When my GSP grew to the Ric rock the Ric's started to split and spread faster than I have seen.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/380030/coral-growth-rate#post_3305951
I have Ric's I never feed them I guess am too lazy.
When my GSP grew to the Ric rock the Ric's started to split and spread faster than I have seen.

Every so often I place a small piece of scallop on my rics in the 29G and the 54G tanks, cause I can reach them...I never feed the ones in the 225G...they all seem to grow at the same rate to me

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Larocque http:///forum/thread/380030/coral-growth-rate#post_3305937
Whats the chance that if i cut a mushroom in half that it will die?
IF you cut it straight down the middle and each piece has an equal part of the mouth (I've even cut them in 4ths), they are very hardy. I have never lost a mushroom that I've fragged. Fuzzy mushrooms are by far the easiest to frag. Just don't frag them in your tank, do it in a bucket with tank water, and beware, they smell when you frag them.