coral help please

teviesfish

I have a mushroom... its always simi closed in the morning when i get up and the lights are off... gets very full thru out the day.. looking like little cups..but today it bubbled sort of more in the middle... and it looks like it does in the night with the lights off and the lights are still on. Is this ok? just something new for me... no lf in the tank as of yet they are in qt and cleaner crew isnt ever on it as far as i can see.. still holding its color..doesnt look slimy or anything.. i hope i didnt do anything wrong with it please resond

puffer32

Make sure its getting enough lighting, thats about it.But if its looking like an inside out umbrella, it is reaching for light, place him up higher in the tank if you don't have strong lighting.

alyssia

My mushrooms "wilt" sometimes too when the lights are on. Sometimes they will look crappy for a day or so then come back fuller than ever. My bubble coral does that too, and it still worries me!
HTH,
Kellee

alyssia

Originally Posted by puffer32
Make sure its getting enough lighting, thats about it.But if its looking like an inside out umbrella, it is reaching for light, place him up higher in the tank if you don't have strong lighting.

I thought shrooms prefer really low light. At least I thought someone told me that on here before. :thinking:

blb9

I had a colony of green fuzzy mushrooms turn white and melt on me for no apparent reason. after a while, I moved them to the back corner, and they are doing really well. I read that mushrooms will sometimes do this if the flow is too high :notsure:

natureboy

I have always found that my shrooms detatch themselves and float around if the flow is too high. Sometimes my shrooms look kind of crappy for a day, but they always come back. they are very hardy

puffer32

Originally Posted by alyssia
I thought shrooms prefer really low light. At least I thought someone told me that on here before. :thinking:
Some like more light then others, and if they are turning inside out, like an umbrella does in the wind, then they are reaching for light.

puffer32

Here's a pic of my shrooms back before I had my T5's, notice the mushroom on the right, he wasn't getting enough lighting then, now he lays flat with proper lighting.

teviesfish

here are before and after pics...
first one was lights on and fully open as usual
second one was after the higher lights were turned off and the blue antinic lights were on for a few hours. There are two on that peice of rock that are sorta crappy looking. It was sudden and quick. Should i move him?
third pic is the placement of him in the tank.
left side under the plate coral left of the frogspawn

teviesfish

Originally Posted by shogun323
Sorry I have no advice to offer. I'm still a rookie. I just wanted to tell you I love your tank!!
thanks for the complement!! hubby and i are loving this hobby. I post pictures all of the time so keep commenting good or bad. What tank are you working on? size and stuff

supalupa

If thats what they look like after the lights have been on for a couple of hours then they look stressed to me. Thats what mine look like after I cut them to frag but they are looking better by the next day or day after.

alyssia

Originally Posted by puffer32
Some like more light then others, and if they are turning inside out, like an umbrella does in the wind, then they are reaching for light.

Cool, thanks.
I love your avatar BTW. Is that a pug?

teviesfish

Not sure what to think. Its no worse or better today. Going to just watch them and possibly tomorrow if they dont look much better then i am going to move it to another spot and see if that helps it out. Its high towards the light now and it isnt in very much flow. But there are places that i can move it too if needed. Thanks! Bonnie