Coral ID

yacobito

The LFS told me it was a type of leather, but I am not sure. Usually I would do more research before buying something for my tank, but they only wanted $15 for it, so I couldn't pass it up. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

fedukeford

its a tounge coral i think?? ive seen AT LEAST 15 at my LFS, and every one by one week is just a white skeleton, so im assuming they have a VERY loew survivla rate

yacobito

Well, I did some reasearch on the slipper or tongue coral and I guess it is a LPS hard coral? I asked the LFS if it was a soft coral and they told me yes. They also told me it was a leather. I think I might try and take it back. I don't think I have enough lighting for him. I have a 29G tank with 130W PC lighting. What does everyone think?

speg

Well.. do this.. pick it up.. is it hard? If so it's a tongue coral... if it feels leathery.. then it must be a leather.
It sure does look like a tongue coral though (lps) i'd be willing to bet my mothers money on it.

hkdonreefs

That is definately a tongue. They are very hardy corals. You have enough light for it they dont need that much light. I had 1 for 2 years in my old tank with less lighting than yours.

jumpfrog

If your lfs has corals dying one week after they get them I would be suspect of their water conditions.
Just something to consider.

yacobito

I think I will keep him for a while and see how he does. He already looks much better than the did at the LFS. I have a friend who has some MH and says he will buy him off of me if it doesn't look like it is doing all that well. Thanks for the ID and the advice.